Saturday, June 19, 2004

Circular No 137



Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 19 of June 2004. Circular No. 137
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

Here is further information on our WEB page. I am sure Maroth would welcome your help, suggestions and inputs.

Our Webmaster has the following report:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "De Marothy, Maroth" <Maroth_De_Marothy@bmc.com>
Date: 10 May 09:55 (PDT)
Subject: Re. WEB site

Dear Las,
kertesz@theabbeyschool.com is now your email account, and you can change that if you wish. I've heard from Don Mitchell but not David Bratt, but I haven't checked my email at theabbeyschool.com...must do that now! As I wrote Don, I'm in the middle of selling my house, preparing to move, getting ready for retirement Oct 1, and leaving for holidays in Sweden during the month of June. As you can imagine, it's quite hectic...
Please send the 58 class photo with or without numbers...I appreciate that...
Thanks,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Ladislao kertesz [mailto:kertesz11@icqmail.com]
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 4:53 AM

Dear Maroth,
By now Don Mitchell must have contacted you, just as David Bratt. Both mentioned that they would like to take charge of a year's cost of the web. Well there is two, without asking!!
The email address should be Kertesz@theabbeyschool.com, as no one knew me as Ladislao, mainly my name was from Las to Lailo, etc.
You know that it was to long and too Latin. I have the photo and I shall send it to you in large format, would we want the numbers or any other means to get the names right?
God bless
Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------
On Sun, 9 May 2004 21:02:03 -0500 , "De Marothy, Maroth" wrote:

Dear Ladislao,
I suspect most of us already have one or more email addresses and don't need yet one more, but your idea of charging a small fee for the address is a good one, though the fee should be much less...about $7 US. Would be first come, first served...
By the way, I think you, Ladislao, as the primary mover for reuniting Mount boys over the Internet, should have a Mount email address. I will setup "ladislao@theabbeyschool.com" later tonight. If you prefer some other name, let me know and I'll change it.
I now know I paid more than needed to "freeservers.com"...there are cheaper and better web site providers and I will get one next year (since I've already paid for this year) after I've had time to research them and find the best value. But don't worry, "theabbeyschool.com" site will be running as long as there are Mount boys around...
By the way, it seems the 1958 class picture (my class!) has disappeared...I suspect it was overwritten, since a photo exists with its name but is not at all the right photo.
If someone could send me the photo (Hello, Tony Johnson!), I'll happily restore it...
Cheers,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Ladislao kertesz [mailto:kertesz11@icqmail.com]
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 5:21 PM

Dear Maroth,
In today's Circular I mention the exchange of the WEB site. Maybe you would want to award the email addresses?? or use it to pay for the web upkeep?? If you would like to include the Circular or the newsletter as a separate email address? or for those that would like to communicate with me?? So before you give out the email addresses let us put a price on the affiliation. Could be 20 USD for 20 slots?? Please let me know your opinion, I shall mail the No. 131 on Sat evening or Sun morning. I would like to include your opinion.
God Bless
Ladislao
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now some letters from Kristof

From: "kristof de marothy" <kristof_demarothy@hotmail.com>
Date: 26 Nov 21:11 (PST)

Hi Ladislao,
I have had to change my email address. It is Kristof_demarothy@hotmail.com
Please keep me on your mailing list.
Went to Trinidad for the Reunion. 2003.
Was the only one from Class 59. Jon Golding (class of 61) showed up for the party.
All others were from class of 70+.
Could have used some help from you other old timers.
Had a ball, fond memories and misty eyes.
Met Salvador Coscarat.
Great guy and now a good friend.
Still planning to email pictures to you.
But have to rescan them since by email provider (hotmail) limits my "packet"
size.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Laz,
This is not a photo of the 1958 class. Csaba is not even in it. Check out the 1958 class on the web site.
I recognize Pablo Figuera (20) and I believe Timothy Hutton (20) and Anthony (Gabie) Johnson (23).
My brother Maroth de Marothy was in it along with Urban Fedak.
I was in the class of 1959. We had just over a dozen students.
Refer to the Abbey School web site which has it correctly.

I am still putting my photos and short history together.

(Csaba would seem to have been in Class 1957. Ed.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Laz,

Ronald Charles is the chinese boy with glasses standing 4th from the left in the 2nd photo of the 1959 graduating class.
He is the 3rd boy on the left of the priest in the 1st 1959 graduating class photo.
Again the unknown" is Harry Guildner, he is the partially hidden boy with glasses standing to the right of the priest. He does not appear in the 2nd photo.
Swami (or Ronald Galt) was in the 1960 graduating class with his brother Richard "Turtleback" whose is shown in the volleyball picture in circular #47 (it looks a lot like him at about 14-15 years of age)..
Like you, I remember my class and a lot of the guys from 1958 and 1960 but after that? Memory fades over 1/2 century but my good times at Mount and the bad ones (especially, when I was whipped by "BoBo" in front off the whole school) are cherished memories.
I was really saddened to hear whiter happened to Mount. It is an ignoble end to such a great school. It gave us a wonderful education, built our characters through sports and discipline and saw us through our formative years.

I'll be in touch

-------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Christopher,
I am sorry for the email address, I was just replying on your last email. The multiple emails mentioned never arrived so I answered your last one of two. Well, I hope this is correct. I have it clear now, thank you.
I shall modify the listing including the name of Ronald Charles and deleting Chin. That does not help me with the unknown or where ever Ronald Charles appears in the photo.
Also if you dinned with Swami then maybe he was your classmate also, and he was repeating Form V when I graduated?????
I know that to reconstruct 40 years is difficult but once I get Ronald Charles nd
Ronald Gokool things will be easier and we can get the website straightened out.
You would not believe it but those of the 1960s and 1970s do not know whose classmates were.
We are lucky as our memories are better???? or our we were closer as a group in our times.
I must confess that I remember my class 1960 but not so well the other classes.
God Bless
Ladislao

(I have had news that Roland Gokool has left us some years ago. Ed.)
------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Christopher,
Thank you for the reply and encouragement.
Does Ronald Charles sound a bell????
I hope the house work is getting along and that you are placing aside the photos that you are finding for those winter months ( they are close!!, specially in the North North)
Maybe you would like to come back for a few weeks to Caracas???.
God Bless
Ladislao
------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Laz,
I am getting ready to E-Mail you lotsa pictures and a short bio of myself since leaving MSB. I am in the middle of renovating my house so my time is a bit limited (MUST finish before winter set in).
Thank you.
The "mystery person" in the class of '59 photo, I believe, is Harry Guildner. He was Venezuelan and lived in Tigrito, Edo. Anzoategui.
Will contact you later.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a copy of page 01 Mount Inside from 1982.

EDITORIAL

I am happy that I have established a record in the long history of "Mount Inside" - first published in 1964. My target of six issues for the school year now ended has been met but not without moments of anguish.

My thanks to a patient and accommodating printer on whose shoulder rests the responsibility for finally getting our journal published. Issue # 46 has been a rushed effort and my Co-ordinator and typist stood up beautifully to the pressures involved.

A special THANK YOU to Fr. Cuthbert who kept all of us on our toes. To you my faithful readers; Your interest in the magazine made my year extremely worthwhile.

Happy holidays
Hayden J.M. Valentine

(The following was the comment written on the mimeographed paper. Ed.)

Sept. 5/81

Note: To the editor.
As an "Old Boy" and in lieu of the Mount Outside; coupled with the kind thoughtfulness of Fr. Cuthbert; I have been receiving the Mount Inside, which, apart from the regularity of production, has given me once more an inside to my old school. My sincere congratulations, and may we see the same enthusiasm for the next term.
All the best from the frozen North.
Arthur Knaggs "Class of 1949"

Mount inside #46 P-01
-------------------------------------------------------------
God Bless
Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------------
Photo: By Robert Bodington, File0001d5 150 15, File0001d6 150 15. who is photo d6??? Sorry that I do not have photos from 1960s 1970s 1980s. Maybe in those days there were no KODAK BOX CAMERAS? our machines for the 1950s.
Wayne Vincent Brown's column can be seen at www.Jamaicaobserver.com,
Column: dbratt , Time for decisions
-------------------------------------------------------------
Look us up at http://www.theabbeyschool.com, an all class msb web site.
For those that want to communicate with the web, use, webmaster@theabbeyschool.com,.
Send information to: Ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com, if you would like to be in the circular's mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
Telf. 0(212) 263.5346 Caracas.
Use Kaviacion@cantv.net for photos as I leave enough storage space for these.
Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number to idmitch@anguillanet.com,

For those that would like to contact me here I include my telephones:
Telf.Office: 58 (212) 263.5346, 267.2416, From: 11:00GMT to 22:00GMT
FAX: 58 (212) 261.0829,
Home: 58 (212) 238.4084. From: 00:00 GMT to 04:00 GMT
Cellphone: +58 (0416) 612.5695
Remember that Venezuela's time is the same as Trinidad's, -04:00 GMT.

No comments: