Saturday, January 10, 2004

Circular No 115



Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 10 of January 2004. Circular No. 114
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Here is the first detailed article that I have received on Fr. Bernard, capturing the essence of the man. Since this is the most difficult aspect in writing about a person, Rafael has captured the personality to a fine detail, wonderful testimony for posterity.
I would like to hear comments, another opinion, how about it, Wayne! I hope that this resume could be expanded to other priests and members of the MSB community in future Circulars.
-------------------------------------------------------
From: "Rafael Echeverria G." <reglaw@netuno.net.ve>
Date: 26 Oct 10:17 (PST)

Dear Ladislao,
First of all let me confirm my deep regret in not being able to meet with you for lunch during your last visit to Maracaibo last Thursday. I promise I will be contacting you when I go to Caracas next time.
I have been deeply touched by Fr. Bernard's Eulogy. It brought me back memories of what Fr. Bernard meant to me. Of how much he taught me.
WHAT FATHER BERNARD MEANT TO ME.-
He was always the silent ... but always a present ... authority. It was not necessary for him to be present anywhere or at any time in particular for all of us to know that we would never wished to have to confront him if we failed to do things the right way. I remember how much Norman Smith and myself made jokes about him. Laughing at the nickname everybody knew him by. But we all knew that in spite of that Fr. Bernard ... Our HEADMASTER ... had our full and deep respect.
Father Bernard taught me how to face the truth. He taught me a lot about honesty. Honesty with myself. I dare say that his being so severe was based precisely in making me confront myself and with my own weaknesses and mistakes. Fr. Bernard would make sure that I would do anything in my power to correct myself. And if I failed in trying, he would take care of things. The hard way. He would always call me to put my feet on earth as I pretended to make The Beatles a substitution for my Mathematics and English Literature. He taught me to laugh at myself. I was a dreamer.
He made me appreciate the love for my Father (Don Rafael Echeverría). He always talked to me about my father's professional and political merits as a thinker. I will never forget his teachings about strength of character. Very especially as our Director in the Play "A Man for All Season".
To receive the notification of having to appear at his Desk, was always an incredible feeling of challenge, and fear. It was not easy to stand to his eyes looking at you over the rim of his thin glasses while asking you whatever he wanted to know or whatever he wanted to stress in your heart. Fr. Bernard taught me how stupid one can be by being selfish and conceited. He taught the
greatness of facing the truth no matter how painful it was the price to be paid. He made me stronger by making me suffer in confronting myself.
It was a challenge to face Fr. Bernard. As my Religion Teacher, he took things very seriously and exposed me to shame - a
couple of times - when falling asleep in his classes. My mind would just jump when hearing his voice "... Rafael ...." almost as a whisper from his teacher's desk. Then I would open my eyes having to confront the whole class ... and his eyes ... once again ... looking straight at me over the rim of his thin glasses ... and smiling ... with holy patience. That episode - and others he provoked - made me feel so incredibly stupid, and taught me so much. He always put me to the challenge. The challenge of confronting myself and my miseries. He taught me the value of honour.
The last time I saw him was in Caracas, I remember him so well while driving down Av. Luis Roche in Altamira. He looked healthy and strong with excellent humour. I was with Kendrik Allum in his car and Father Bernard - after a brief and pleasant conversation - exploded with laughter and told me "You are still the same philosopher Rafael" .... He laughed so much. He asked me lots of questions about my plans for the future. It was heaven talking to him.
He was my HEADMASTER. He was my friend. I love him. I will never forget him. I regret not being closer to him during his last years. How can I ever honour him enough ? How can I make my wife, children and grandchildren know how much he meant to me ? How can I make all of them understand that the person which I am now ... whatever or whoever I am ... I owe him in a great and important part ... to him ... Father Bernard ... my HEADMASTER at The Abbey School of Mount St. Benedict.
Father Bernard meant my whole life to me. He taught me to Love Christ. He made me a Christian. He made me a Mount Boy. He made me a man.
I guess the best way to honour him is never to forget him and live every day following his example. His heroism. I will try my best ... while I imagine his eyes looking at me over the rim of his thin glasses ... with a smile.
Rafael (CheChe)
----------------------------------------------------------
Another article on specific topics, by my inspired friend, Rafael The Music .. I remember how much I admired John Abraham and Jeremy with their band "The Interpreters" ... They were The Mount Musical Band ... The Mount Boys Band ... they used to play a lot of calypso songs and instrumentals.
The Shadows who were very famous at the time ... somehow parallel to era of The Beatles who came up with their revolutionary "rock with voice harmonies" ....which was a "revelation" compared with the unison rock of Elvis Presley, Little Richard and all those. I used to sit and listen to the Interpreters in their Mount Hall backstage rehearsals... I remember a guy by the name of Ferreira who use to sing.... I envied them so much that I would give anything to become a part of that band ... one day I remember that I started to give my opinions ... and that really "pissed" John ...he told me to GET OUT !!!! .... With time John and I became
great friends .... I started to learn how to play the guitar ... Jeremy was my informal professor ..
I bought a cheap guitar in down town Port of Spain ... and I didn't have the slightest idea of how to form a chord ... but Jeremy taught me ... I will always thank him for that. ....
With time... Norman Smith (The Interpreters bass player) left the band for some reason and I picked up the bass guitar which became my passion ....
I will always remember the day I spent at John Abraham's home in Port of Spain ... he invited me to practice his songs and after I was playing for some time he softly said .... "boy ... you are good!" ... MY GOD THAT WAS A REVELATION TO ME!!!! ... I was earning the respect and recognition from the person I so much admired ... and respected .... and we had some "Kalaloo" .... it's missing the crab though" ... John said ... that was the first time in my life I had "Kalaloo" ... didn't like it much .. but I ate it !!! ...I preferred Roty ...
Then afterwards ... as I have said in past reports ... I formed the Band "Chains" .... playing Beatles ... with Norman Smith who took the Rhythm Guitar ... My brother Gustavo (they use to call him "small CheChe") ... he played a VOX 12 string guitar which John Abraham loved .... (I still have it up in my room) ... and Enrique Gomez (Departamento de Tira-Coñazos)... played the drums ....
We made a presentation at the Mount's Hall and it was WILD !!!! ... It was great ..we became very popular among a group of friends in Port of Spain ... for some time ... we also played at St. Joseph's Convent (girls school in Port of Spain) ... boy... we felt like stars !!!! .... girls were nice !!!! .... AND ... we came to Caracas ... and we were the first Rock Group that played at La
Casona ... The Venezuelan Presidential Residence ... CHAINS !!!! ... a Mount Boy's Rock Group ... Venezuelan Mount Boys ... we were invited by Raul Leoni's son (Raul) who was also a Mount Boy at the time ... to celebrate Menca de Leoni's birthday
.... I will never forget that ... how can one ever forget ???? ... we were in heaven ...
The Basketball .... I became .. with a lot of effort ... a member of Abbey's A Team ... I remember Harry Laughlin ... great player !!!! ... good guy ... Our walks to White Stones .. digging out spiders and putting them to fight .... tarantulas .... the Scout Trips ... walking ... to Maracas Bay .... I don't remember the name of our Coach ( can any one help? ed.) ... he was our guide ...
that was the first time I ate Baby Shark .... our guide prepared it ... with curry ... I remember that bad night we had ... sleeping on the sand ... it was raining ...
Just last night I was at a friend's house and I met a guy from Trinidad ... Jimmy Brennan ... he is the General Manager for Venezuela for Tucker Services (and Oil Service Co.) ... The "Tuckers" are all Trinidadians .. they now live in Texas .... and I told them
about my days in Mount and we had a great talk .. he also started remembering his good times in Trinidad ...
I have in fact met lots of people from Trinidad over the years ... all the time ...as a International Lawyer in my practice in the Oil Industry ... and I have a great time with all of them ...
I even met a group one at an Opus Day Retreat near Caracas ... and we played Calypsos ... I picked a guitar and played a calypso (RinTinTin) I remembered from The Merrymen (A group from Barbados) I wonder if it still exists ... I guess not ... they were really good ... they played "Yesterday" (Beatles) but with calypso tempo .. it was great ... when I went to England to continue my studies I played "Yesterday" as a calypso and the Brits just would not believe it !!! HA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rin Tin Tin ...
Everybody hear this tin ...
Ma' galfriend promis' to gimme sometin...
and the bells won't ring ...
and the birds won't sing...
'caus she promis' to gimme some tin tin tin
Ev'ry year is the same tin ...
all she do is promissin ...
well she promise me a house and a motor car ...
Ev'ry year is the same tin ..
all you do is promissin gal ...
bu' so help me God I'm gonna catch yu 'dis carnival !!!
BLESSINGS TO ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rafael Echeverría (CheChe)
--------------------------------------------------------------
Friends now to the Questions period !!!
********************************
Who was Jeremy??, his last name, please?
Where is John Abraham??
What was the name of Ferreira, the singer??
Unfortunately I have not been able to find Norman Smith, ????
I am still looking for Enrique Gomez, but there are too many Gomez here in Caracas.
Unfortunately Raul Leoni is out of the Country so no luck, can any one help with the email?
I hope Harry Laughlin can give us his opinion on the Basketball team and Rafael´s performance. Harry can you send me a photo of the team or the names and positions. The team record?. Whom did we beat!!
The new photos are from Bernard Fontaine (BF), please place names on the faces, use the numbers, and indicate the photo so that I can place them in a file next to the photo.
God Bless
Ladislao
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Listado: C114.xls
Photos: Bf Scoutband no
BF St. Anthony no
Column: David Bratt - health corruption crime
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: