Saturday, February 21, 2004

Circular No 120




Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 21 February 2004. Circular No. 120
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
I would like to remind those that feel that they are left out of the Circulars, if you do not write then I cannot include your comments, and your long lost friends cannot see your e-mail address and write you. And to those friends that have been receiving this Circular and would like to be taken off the list, please R.S.V.P., I do not want to inconvenience you with material that has to be erased every week from your inbox.
Just for the record, there are a couple of alumni that have asked to be taken off. I keep sending them a Christmas Card every year to ask for their wellbeing and let them know that we are sending out the Newsletter, just in case they would like to be reinserted.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have found a few misplaced emails that I should have sent long time ago.
Tony, please forgive.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Tony Vieira <tandjv@networksgy.com>
Date: Tue Mar 4 19:20:14 2003

Ladislao,
Talking about father Eugene, one day I fell down in the pole vault pit and broke my wrist, I always smile when I see the new air filled landing pads the current athletes use for pole vaulting, our pole vault pit was sawdust and as hard as concrete, both bones just above the wrist were broken [confirmed later by X-ray and a cast which I had to endure for 6 weeks] so Scruts sent me up to the dorm, it was Saturday so no nurse, when I got to the dorm, I was met with the astonishing sight of Eugene doing pull ups on the first cubicle next to his room in his shorts. That night after I told the boys about it, Edward Lloyd, Steve Mailingsmith and "Cow spray" [anyone remember cow spray's real name?] mobilised the boys who waited until Eugene was about to make his last round, and they started doing pull ups on their cubicles, forcing a clearly embarrassed Eugene to flee and seek refuge in his room. As far as the colour of the cubicle was concerned, I was never invited to choose the colour of MY cubicle, and if the place was still functional I would sue. Does anyone else remember picking the colour of their cubicle? as I recall, all were painted this really sick cream colour.
The cubicle next to mine was occupied by the french boy Piton, does anyone remember him? My job was to help him with his English since he did not speak one word of the language. Piton had one wrangler Jeans which he wore everyday for the entire term, he did not have to hang up those jeans, it stood up by itself when he took it off.
My cubicle was close to the toilet, it was on the side of the dorm which faced the mountain. From my cubicle, on most nights the toilet looked like it was on fire, and there was that much smoke coming out of it. The amount of cigarettes we threw in the toilets at the mount killed all the bacteria in the septic tanks and caused an environmental hazard. The poetic justice of it all was that it was we who caused that incredible stench in the first place, that were forced to breathe it in day and night.
Tony Vieira

P.S. Ladislao, I bought a P4 computer and in the process of transferring all of the data to the new computer from the old hard drive the idiot technician erased all of my e-mails, so please send me the link to your site again, I had to wait for you to email me with the new circular before I could tell you about it since I have lost all emails and addresses.

I have decided to run in the 2006 Presidential elections, I announced it last week check www.tonyvguy.com, commentary UF, I have taken over the United Force Political party and even if I don't get the presidency [I don't think I can anyway] I will, with the other small parties control the parliament and hold the balance of power in the country.
T.V.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Tony Vieira <tandjv@networksgy.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 06:57:16 -0500

Laszlo,
Here are the pictures I promised you, we took a lot more, if you need them. Scan 0003 is the view of the present monastery as you approach it from the river, the plan is to build a true Abbey on the top of the Hill and use this area as a tourist resort to enhance the income of the Benedictines, which is what they have called themselves. Scan 0002 is from left; Hildebrand, Vieira, the New Abbot of MSB Trinidad, and Father Farrier. Farrier's brother is a highly respected journalist who works for my Evening Newscast. Scan 0001 is the building they have at present, scan Benedictines Essequibo is our farewell to the place. It can ONLY be approached from the water, it is that remote.
The situation in Venezuela is very sad; I will send you my thoughts about it, as contained in a commentary on the internet anyway at my personal website www.tonyvguy.com, Egypt/Venezuela.
Tony.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Tony Vieira <tandjv@networksgy.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 16:10:22 -0500

Cheers Ladislao,
I have a 26 ft cabin cruiser; it is not so much a luxury as a necessity, since as the owner of the country's only television network I have to visit some very remote areas. I go on the Essequibo River every other week, usually the second and fourth Saturday's of each month.
Yesterday, Saturday 28th December 2002, I visited Father Hildebrand, [the pictures will follow] they have built the new monastery about 2 miles from the town of Bartica, it is where the Essequibo and Mazaruni river meet to form the Mighty Essequibo, they also say Mass and give council to the citizens of that town, to do it they have to drive through the 2 miles of jungle that separates the monastery from the town, they have no electricity, no telephones, no treated water there.
The monastery at this time consists of father Hildebrand and three other priests. Including Father Ferrier, actually he is not the brother that looked after the bees at the Mount.
It was a good day to visit, since the current abbot of Mount St. Benedict was there, he gave me a note pad which declares that Mt. St. Benedict is celebrating their 90th anniversary. I have scanned a page and attached it hereto.
I am glad that you prompted me to visit them, they are in bad shape. The place is lovely with a wonderful view of the river and they have planted some beautiful ornamental trees, crotons, hibiscus, etc, but the problems of no electricity and no telephones are almost too huge a burden for them. They have tried to do a solar power installation but it is not very successful, the batteries are all dead they also have a small generator, I will help them all I can, I will give you more details later.
Fr. Hildebrand has an email address it is benedictines@solutions2000.net, it is written on the note, he uses a telephone whenever he visits Bartica with his laptop to say Mass in the town. I am copying this note to him to reassure him that I have not forgotten the wonderful hospitality they extended to us that day, [they make an excellent sorrel liqueur] and I will help as much as I possibly can.
After the holidays 2nd Saturday in January perhaps, I intend to visit them again with Jewel and the children to discuss the promised help in a more tangible way.
The operation has been going on for 14 years. For Father Hildebrand's benefit, I am attaching a research I did, for a house that Christopher Ram [he is the one who writes the economic articles in the Stabroek news on Sundays, father] and he and I want to build a small weekend cottage on the Essequibo. It will give you an idea of what you have to do and what the cost will be.
Tony Vieira
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not so good news from the MSB, for his friends
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Gerard Mathijsen osb
To: the-mount@carib-link.net
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2004 8:48 AM
Subject: overlijden pater Kees Verburg
........................................................
+
vrede

Op zaterdagavond 14 februari overleed in het Medisch Centrum Alkmaar na een kort ziekbed gesterkt door het sacrament van de zieken onze geliefde medebroeder PATER KEES VERBURG monnik van Egmond. geboren te Pijnacker 15 juni 1930 geprofest te Trinidad 21 januari 1962 priester gewijd in Jamaica 1 november 1973 gestabiliseerd in de St.-Adelbertabdij 30 maart 1979 Het lichaam van pater Kees is opgebaard in de kapittelzaal van de abdij woensdagavond 18 februari om 20.15 uur avondwake donderdag 19 februari om 14.30 uur uitvaart in de abdijkerk waarna begrafenis op het kerkhof van de abdij.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
God Bless
Ladislao
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos: Monastery in Guyana scan0001tv, scan0002tv, scan0003tv
Listado: C120.xls
Column: D Bratt sorry next week
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATTACHMENTS

Listado c120.xls

Names Form V Contact Nickname business address Phone, e-mail
Saab, Faicel
glen
YV

Sabga, Anthony

Bulldog Florida
antoine.sabga@trincityconstruction.com
Sabga, George



(686) 622 2596
Saez, Fransisco
glen
YV

Salazar,


YV

Samaroo, Jimmy
jgioannetti



Sanchez, Carlos 1954 jon



Sanchez, Regulo
glen
YV

Sanior, Edmond
coscarart



Santos, C





Savorgnan, Luciano 1958 farcheg
usa

Savorgnan, Roberto 1961 farcheg
usa

Scannone, Antonio Julio
glen
YV

Schnell, Oscar
glen
YV

Schroeder,
glen
YV

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: