Saturday, February 28, 2004

Circular No 121






Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 28 February 2004. Circular No.121
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
The last Circular was sent late. The following might be late also, but I shall try to keep up the weekly edition.
I have received the following from a classmate, and as I have said sometime ago, better send and read the news late than never.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Daniel de Verteuil" <deverted@renc.igs.net>
Date: 4 Nov 10:51 (PST)

Ladislao,
I keep silent but read the circular every week. During the summer my wife, my dog and I toured Northwestern Canada and Alaska. Attached is the summary of that trip which you may or may not find suitable as an attachment to the msb circular - your decision and I won't be at all upset if you choose not to attach it. Anyway, it will give you a sense of what I am up to.
I enjoy the circulars and much appreciates your effort in producing them.
Keep up the good work.
Regards,
Daniel de Verteuil

(Sorry I lost the attachment, but do write again about your adventures,
ed.)
-------------------------------------------------------------
From: Richard Anderson <tropicgreen@hotmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2004 7:27PM

Dear Ladislao,
Thank you for you E-mail.
I left Mount in Form 4, I believe 1962. In my class Jeffrey Camacho, great friend. Michael Marchock, Mervin Assam, Peter and Norman Tang, Gregory Farfan, Nigel Boos, Michael ,Robert & Jimmy Azar, Terrence Ferrera from Guyana, Desmond Devaux, Don Mitchell , Patrick Devaux, too many to mention.
Steve Anderson is my brother lives in Trinidad. Gerald Anderson lost touch but do believe is in Trinidad. Peter Laughlin is in Sarasota Fl. Michael Laughlin is Perth, Australia.
I was in Scouts. Fr. Cuthbert was the Scout master, I was in Toucans with Jeffrey Gransaull, Troop leader. Also played drums for the Scout band, Left as a Queen's Scout. Played in the band called Ventures Started at mount with Johnny Abraham and we continued after school Played at many fetes as well as Nightclubs, The Rock and Matador - for those who remember their earlier years partying. After leaving Mount I was President of the Old Boys Association, I believe it was 1964 or 65 not too sure of the year.
Ladislao, I hope this helps with some information.
To all my friends please E-mail me let me hear from you.
Regards Richard.
(I would like to hear from you, Jeffrey Gransuall, is it true that you are a pilot? ed.)
-------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Ladislao Kertesz" <ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com>
To: tropicgreen@hotmail.com
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:46:08 +0000

Dear Richard,
Thank you for the resume. I shall send it out soon in a Circular. Please write me your Form V graduation date and telephone number, for the general list.
There were at least two other Anderson in my list, Gerard and Steven? Were they from your clan?
Do you remember your classmates?? friends, what has happened to them? Are you in correspondence with other MSB oldboys? Any photos? Were you a scout?
I know this is a lot, but the Circular must circulate, and bring fond memories to some.
I would like to send you a photo of your era,
God Bless
Ladislao
---------------------------------------------------------------
From: "JonGolding" <jongolding@wow.net>
Date: 29 Feb 07:50 (PST)
Subject:
Brendan Gurley

Dear Ladislao,
It is with deep regret that I have to inform the Mount Alumni of the passing of our friend Brendan Gurley.
Brendan was killed in Tobago by a car last Saturday morning when cycling with some friends on the island. He was an avid cyclist and runner in Trinidad and had good road sense but the accident was a freak one where he could not see an overtaking car behind another car that stopped for him.
Brendan leaves a young wife (his second marriage), a 9 year old daughter and a 17 year old son from his first marriage who had recently come to live with him from the UK. Sadly, Brendan's other son, the boy's older brother, was killed last year in a car accident in the US. The funeral was on Thursday this week at his Church, St Finbar's in Diego Martin and was attended by over 500 people. Fr Michel de Verteuil and Fr Tom Lawson conducted the Funeral Mass. Brendan spent most of his life in Trinidad. He was a qualified accountant, a respected stockbroker and was recently made President of the 100-year old Clydesdale Club in Port of Spain, the mecca of very successful Trinidad & Tobago businessmen and professionals.
Brendan's two brothers, Dennis and Christian were at Mount in the 50's and 60's and many of our Alumni will remember them. Brendan and Dennis were in the 2nd MSB Scout Band with me and I have some photos I will be sending you soon.
Condolences can be sent to Dennis at: dgurley@jdsellier.com. Dennis is one of the most successful attorneys in Trinidad and is the Senior partner of J D Sellier & Co, a prestigious law firm.
Let us remember Brendan in our prayers. He was an exemplar of a quiet but solid and sincere old Mount boy who leaves a legacy of many friends and relatives who respected him and loved him.
May God Rest his soul in peace and keep him until we meet again in His presence.
Kind regards
Jon Golding (MSB 1955-1962)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Nigel Boos <nigelboos@yahoo.ca>
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 8:05 PM

Brendan was a great little guy, as I remember him. Unfortunately, we lost touch with each other when I left MSB, but he was a good trumpeter as a kid, and I would love to have known him as an adult.
May he rest in peace.
Nigel

Laz - you may want to announce this to the Old Boys. (You might remember
Brendan - he was about 3-4 years behind us, so he probably graduated around 1963-64).
-----------------------------------------------------------------
On Feb 23, 2004, at 2:47 PM, Michael Azar wrote:

Hi Nigel,
Michael Azar here in Portland Oregon, sorry I have not gotten around to talking to you much last year, but I was going through some health problems. I heard from Trinidad that Brendan Gurley was killed in Tobago, in a motorcycle accident. I thought that those who knew him will like to know. Will try and contact you soon by phone or by email.
God Bless,
Michael Azar ( Big Joe)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last years effort to contact Anthony Johnson:
From: "Michael Azar" <azargroup@myexcel.com>
Date: 2 May 07:08 (PDT)

Hi Ladislao,
Will try to contact him again. Nigel Boos is also concerned about him.
He has also lost contact with him.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Ladislao Kertesz" <lkertesz1@icqmail.com>
To: <azargroup@myexcel.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 7:46 PM

Thank you Michael, I know you knew. By the way Boxhead is anxious on Gabby´s whereabouts, so here is a clue on his free time affair. Information on Anthony Johnson:
Professional Realty Institute
909 East Green Street, Pasadena, California 91106-2996
888.785.4800
626.229.9900 626.229.0789 FAX
Date Course Description Faculty
Thursday, May 08, 2003 113 Real Property, Tax and Exchanging
Anthony L. Johnson
Class Location:
San Mateo County AOR
850 Woodside Way
San Mateo CA 94401
He is to give a course 113 in San Mateo on the 8 of MAy. Maybe you can call him???
This information can be looked up in Anthony L. Johnson, CPA, yahoo search
Regards
Ladislao
------------------------------------------------------------
On Thu, 1 May 2003 19:06:15 -0700, "Michael Azar" wrote:

Hi Ladislao,
I am sorry I have not been in touch with you. I will try and find time to write some articles. The Picture is Gerhard Most Chaba/chabito.
Michael Azar,
Big Joe
---------------------------------------------------------
From: "Michael Azar" <azargroup@myexcel.com>
Date: 7 May 14:48 (PDT)

Hi Ladislao,
Your quiz from left to right:
1) Michael Howard,
2) Top of his head is off, and
3) Pepe Barggio
And of course Fr. Cuthbert.
I think I may get hold of Anthony Johnson. I had Lisa the secretary at where he gives classes, to let him know we are
looking for him. Will let you know tomorrow, or he may even contact you directly.
Michael Azar,
Big Joe
------------------------------------------------------------
For those that are looking for PEPE, he is well and you can contact him
at: pbraggio@yahoo.com,
He is busy but promised to reply to his friends. But no luck from Anthony Johnson, I presume he is well.
A couple of photos from the pool, no Acqualads then !!!
Would like to hear from the Acqualads Club members, I hear they were really good.
I am omitting the .xls list of oldboys from the regular mailing as there seems to be no interest in looking up names, or returning corrections or additions.
God Bless
Ladislao
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo: swimming start, 1,2,3, relay 1,2
Column: D Bratt Its. Carnival Tuesday
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look us up at http://www.theabbeyschool.com, an all class msb web site.
Send information to: Ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com, if you would like to be in the
circular's mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
Telf. 0(212) 263.5346 Caracas.
Use Kaviacion@Cantv.net, for photos as I leave enough storage space for these.
Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received
one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number.
For those that would like to contact me here I include my telephones:
Telf.Office: 58 (212) 263.5346, 267.2416, From: 11:00GMT to 22:00GMT
FAX: 58 (212) 261.0829,
Home: 58 (212) 238.4084. From: 00:00 GMT to 04:00 GMT
Cellphone: 58 (0416) 612.5695
ICQ# 158597413
Remember that Venezuela's time is the same as Trinidad's, -04:00 GMT.

No comments: