Sunday, March 07, 2004

Circular No 122





Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. Caracas, 7 of March 2004. Circular No. 122
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Here are more lines on the late Brendan Gurley:

From: Nigel Boos <nigelboos@yahoo.ca>
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 8:05 PM

Joe,
Oh no! Brendan was a great little guy, as I remember him. Unfortunately, we lost touch with each other when I left MSB, but he was a good trumpeter as a kid, and I would love to have known him as an adult.
May he rest in peace.
Nigel

Laz - you may want to announce this to the Old Boys. (You might remember Brendan - he was about 3-4 years behind us, so he probably graduated around 1963-64.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Feb 23, 2004, at 2:47 PM, Michael Azar wrote:

Hi Nigel,
Michael Azar here in Portland Oregon. Sorry I have not gotten around to talking to you much last year, but I was going through some health problems.
I heard from Trinidad that Brendan Gurley was killed in Tobago, in a motorcycle accident. I thought that those who knew him will like to know.
Will try and contact you soon by phone or by email.
God Bless,
Michael Azar ( Big Joe)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Robert" <robert.huggins@3web.net>
Date: 29 Feb 07:33 (PST)

Hi Las,
Just got some sad news. For those of you who remember Brendan Gurley, he was killed on the spot while cycling in Tobago over the Carnival weekend.
May God rest his soul.
Robert
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOW SOME MORE ON SCOUTING.
Did you know that there was a 3rd Mount St.Benedict Troop??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Anthony Cintra
Date: 2 Dec 19:36 (PST)

Dear Ladislao,
Yes there was another scout troop 3rd Mount St. Benedict. They were "Air Scouts" and the founder was the late Fr. Leo. Later they were amalgamated with 2nd Mount St. Benedict.
I shall call Maillard Howell tomorrow and give him the web site. I shall also call Imbert and Assam and let them know how to get onto the site. I shall give details of the badges then required to become a Queen's Scout in those days soon. Suffice it to say we had to earn a lot.
In my time there were the Hendersons, the Xaviers, the Cedenos, the Galts, the Pampallones, the Huttons, the Ames brothers, Marfisi, Prada, Day, Boddington, Sanchez to name a few.
Sincerely,
Anthony

(No news on Bullets, and those that I have underlined, ed., can anyone help????)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "laci kertesz"
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 18:19:35 -0800 (PST)

Dear Anthony,
Since you are in TT, Please contact your friend Millard so that I can get in touch with him. Also, if you meet Colim Imbert, and Assam Mervyn, I am sorry to ask you if these government officials are not in the same tendencies???, but these are oldboys according to the list.
Hope you have a nice family reunion!!. Nice Scoutmastership!
Back to the old days. There are reports that there were two scout troops in your time, and that there was an aviation or what ever it was called, troop also. That would make it Three troops?. Can you confirm? Are their names available??? Troop leader, members?? What were the different badges needed to get into Queen´s Scout, or was it King´s scout???
Sorry for the many questions but I arrived in 1955, September, and then I took about six months to loosen my tongue.
God Bless,
Ladislao
(It is interesting but no scout member has kept their badges, for us to look at and enjoy, ed.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 12:13:54 +0000, "Anthony Cintra" wrote:

Dear Ladislao,
Sorry! I really do not know who or what to blame, perhaps it is the telephone system or not being fully au courrant with this new laptop.
I had written thanking you for all the circulars which I continue to receive and enjoy reading even when I was in Hamburg in September and October. It was upon receipt of a circular that I was able to contact Fr. Francis via e-mail.
I am back in Trinidad until I am asked to return to Hamburg which could be at any time as I am a full time judge at the Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (Itlos). By the way if you need any information on Itlos the web site is www.itlos.org. In fact you can read brief backgrounds of all the judges including the one from Trinidad and Tobago. It has been rather hectic since my return, meetings with the President, the Prime Minister and others who are interested in the work of Itlos; and a function hosted by our children for our 40th anniversary and appointment to Itlos. Our grandson and granddaughter came over from Canada with their parents for the
celebration. By the way, score another for our school and Second Mount St. Benedict; I was elected to serve as President of the Boy Scouts' Association of Trinidad and Tobago for the next three years. I did ask "why me?" before being elected but in true tradition I will do my best.
I feel certain that I am joining many others when I say that what you are doing is invaluable. It is good to keep on touch with old friends through circulars.
With best wishes,
God Bless.
Anthony.
-------------------------------------------------------------
From: "laci kertesz"
Dear Anthony,
I received this email, but it is empty.
Please resend.
God Bless,
Ladislao
----------------------------------------------------------------
From: "jean de meillac" <jeansie@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:50:24 +0000

Ladislao,
You used to send me info on the old days at Mount , then you stopped. This E Mail is working again, hear from you??
Jeansie

(Since you have changed the email address, I was returned all the weekly correspondence; I hope that you are getting it now, ed)
--------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Jean de Meillac"
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 17:37:21 -0300

Lad,
You are testing my memory, I left Mount in 59 when I was 14. I left after Prep A .... Classmates were, Geoff Herrera, Roger Henderson, John and Gordon Thavenot, Gary Henderson, Flattop Johnson , Christian from Venezuela, he was a good swimmer, Brian Lewis, Jeffery Gransaull, Jeff Lippincott and who could forget Mr Rai who I met in Ireland when I was there at college.
That's a good start ??
Thanks,
Jeansie

(I have a photo of Jean which I attach, ed.)
(I have had no news from those that I have underlined, can anyone acknowledge their wellbeing? ed.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From:"Juliet Date" <Juliet_Chris@tesco.net>

Thanks for the e-mail.
The photo you sent is not of the Class of 59. It is of a Retreat we went on at the Seminary. I will attempt to give you a list of the Class members to update the records in a later e-mail. By the way, can you please change my e-mail address on the Class list. It is as you have in your address book: juliet_chris@tesco.net.
I was glad to hear that you had a good visit to Trinidad.
All the best and keep up the good work
Chris Date
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Jeremy <tobagojo@trinidad.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2004 10:46 PM

Hi fellas,
How about this (spelling a bit wonky though):
Class of 1966 (Wow - What a mess)
01. Anderson, Richard
02. Dulieu, John
03. Moffat, Nigel
04. Ronald Hadded
05. John Paul Vlitos
06. Devaux, Desmond
07. Richard Knox
08. Robin[!] Ramlogan
09. 'He burnt the rice' at that scout camp on the Coura River; The first time he
tried to cook!! [Martinique or Guadelupe or St Lucia]. Devaux, Patrick
10. Mcmullen, Vaughn
11.
12. Geoffery Commacho
13. Richard 'Bookie' Johnson - Yea Bookie OK!
14. Andrew(?) Carrichelo
15. Carlos Hofle [Deceased about a year after leaving MSB - Car crash in Caracas?]
16.Ambard, Frank
17. John Piew [Deceased - Died as a British soldier in Northern Ireland in the 1970's]
18. Tempro, Stephen
19. Pratts, Alexander,Yea, Yea - I think
20. [I think this is Michael, and not Richard??] de Verteuil
21.
22. Kecskemeti, Pablo
23.
24. Umberto Luongo
25.
26.
27.
28. Jeremy de Barry
29. Robin Hart
30. Roger Vlitos
31. (Lived in Maraval)
32. Eion O'Connor - Now in Canada.
Send this to Bookie!
Will try to think of more later.
Cheers all,
tobagojo

(Thank you, Class of 1966, can all of you confirm your name and fill in the blanks??. ed)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
So please write, otherwise the list cannot be completed and some of you might be left out.
The next two photos need to be identified, please place names on the faces !!!!!!
God Bless,
Ladislao
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo: jean de meillac,jean2
Photos by Roberto Bodington, class 1958. file0001c3, file0001a9
Listado: next time
Column: D Bratt, next time
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look us up at http://www.theabbeyschool.com, an all class msb web site.
Send information to: Ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com, if you would like to be in the
circular's mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
Telf. 0(212) 263.5346 Caracas.
Use Kaviacion@Cantv.net, for photos as I leave enough storage space for these.
Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received
one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number.
For those that would like to contact me here I include my telephones:
Telf.Office: 58 (212) 263.5346, 267.2416, From: 11:00GMT to 22:00GMT
FAX: 58 (212) 261.0829,
Home: 58 (212) 238.4084. From: 00:00 GMT to 04:00 GMT
Cellphone: 58 (0416) 612.5695
ICQ# 158597413
Remember that Venezuela's time is the same as Trinidad's, -04:00 GMT.

No comments: