Saturday, September 11, 2004

Circular No 149





Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad
and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 11 of September 2004. Circular No. 149
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

Some news from the Scouting group. Thanks to Roger and David Ames.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: David Ames
Date: 9/6/2004 6:05:02 PM

Ladislao,
I think it better that my brothers speak for themselves.
Regarding me, I left Mount in 1957 and spent 3 years at St Mary’s College in Port of Spain studying for A levels exams before going on to McGill University in Montreal.
What an adventure it was to come from Trinidad to the big cosmopolitan city, winters loaded with snow.
Ah, to be young again and at university!
Graduating from medical school I came south to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to study psychiatry.
It was my goal to return to the West Indies to practice but that was not to be; in the early 70s things were just too unsettled, there was too much social-racial conflict.
So my wife and I chose to stay in these parts and I have practiced in community mental health programs ever since, 30+ years.
These days much of my time is spent working with people addicted to drugs and alcohol as well as promoting community education/prevention efforts.
From time to time I have come back to Trinidad and Tobago to visit but have not been to Mount.
On my next trip I will visit the substance abuse treatment program being operated there and write something about that.
Thanks for all the good work you do.
The pictures and stories are stimulating some very dormant memories.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2004 7:36 PM

Dear David,
I am preparing a Circular for the photos.
Also in the circular I shall send out the letters that the Ames family sent recently.
I hope you can send new information, like info on your brothers.
God bless
Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: David Ames
Sent: 8/15/2004 4:00:26 PM

Do you want me to resend the photos to the other address?
I don't have any scouting material from Mount. - Sorry.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: kertesz12@icqmail.com [mailto:kertesz12@icqmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 2004 8:14 AM

Dear David
Thank you for the photos.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "David Ames"
Date:14 Aug 19:16 (PDT)

Ladislao,
Here are a few pictures from my time at Mount.
The first is Castro with an armadillo captured at camp in Scotland Bay.
That animal was subsequently cooked and eaten.
The second is the old “bell tent” we used.
An ancient design and very heavy, especially when wet.
Everyone slept with their feet towards the centre pole – efficient.
The third is a tower built for “Pioneering Badge”.
Built in 1956 on the area that was subsequently used for the pool.
Look at the enormous height – in those days no one was concerned about liability and there was no shortage of building material.
I have been a scoutmaster here in North Carolina and no one in his wildest dreams could ever do something like this.
There is a picture of the assembled troop with Fr Ildefonse – must be about 1955-56
Lastly there is a picture of some boys ( I can see Geoffrey Ames and Matias de Fedak) posing in the handicraft shop.
This shop was a unique feature of the education at Mount – I am still using the skills.
Thanks for all the work.
Its fun and stirs up some old synapses.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: David Ames

Greetings. I graduated in 1957 from Form 5 and then went to St. Mary’s for Form 6.
My brother Geoffrey graduated in 60 or 61, I'm not sure.
I sent the web page link to all of my brothers - Michael 54, Peter 56, Geoffrey 61, and Roger 63 as well as the last circular.
Hopefully you will hear from them
I have a few pictures from those days that I will scan and send to you.
However I have lost contact with all the members of my class.
But I do talk to Maroth De Maroty and Urban de Fedak.
Maroth sent me the original page link.
Many thanks.
David

(Thanks to you I have their email addresses. Ed)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "David Ames"
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:50:55 -0400

Here are some pictures from Roger.
It's clear that the scouts were a very important part of the lives of many boys at Mount.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Roger & Martine Ames [mailto:americanpie10580@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 9:11 PM
To: David Ames

Here are the three mount picture for you to forward.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ROGER AMES, (insight from a Web page)

About Roger Ames

What led you to a career in the music industry?
I grew up in Trinidad where my father owned a general store where records were sold.
I was a big music fan from an early age.
After graduating from university, I landed a job in EMI's international department.
After a few years there I moved over to the A&R department.
Twenty years ago I left EMI and went to PolyGram where I spent the next 18 years before coming to the Warner Music Group.
I've spent my entire adult life and career in the music industry.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Ames began his association with PolyGram U.K. in 1979 in the A&R department of the Phonogram label and subsequently headed up PolyGram's relaunched London Records operation.
He started his career in the music industry in 1975 with EMI U.K.
Mr. Ames was born and educated in Trinidad in the West Indies.

(“Educated” at The Abbey School. Ed.)

(Maybe he can tell us news that he would like to share about his plans after having left his present job. Ed.)
----------------------------------------------------------------
PETER AMES (insight from a Web page)

Radio 96.1 FM is considered one of the more popular media outlets here and also hosts a variety of shows featuring regional and internationally acclaimed recording stars.
Nicholas Inniss, chief executive officer of the Copyright Organisation of Trinidad and Tobago (COTT), says he was shocked at the latest attempts to get local bands' music played on the airwaves.
"I can't believe there is that level of desperation out there. I am really very distressed," he says.
Peter Ames, executive member of the Publishers and Broadcasters Association, adds that it is "terrifying" that this should be the result when someone's song is not played on the radio.

(The ongoing every day musical problems. Ed.)

Radio 97’s easy listening program and accurate newscasts gives the listener a blend of light-hearted humour, information ranging from the latest sports news to trivia speckled with hard-hitting facts and health/fashion tips and of course, “More Music, Less Talk’.
Ebony 104 FM is anchored in the Creole culture of Trinidad & Tobago.
It reflects the conversations, music, humour, life style and swagger of the East/West Corridor. Ebony 104 FM is irreverent, opinionated and unafraid to challenge Authority. It is now and forever an unrepentant Trinidadian.
Mr. Peter Ames
General Manager
----------------------------------------------------------------
MICHAEL AMES

From: "Michael Ames"
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 05:05:28 -0400

Ladislao,
All your messages are being received but the attachments are being removed by the OE as being unsafe.
Please check and advice.
Regards
Mike Ames

(I hope that the attachment matter has been resolved, otherwise I suggest you to use Yahoo.com, the server I use for your mail. Ed.)
----------------------------------------------------------------
A brief note from a Dayboy, taken from the annals of history.

From an old friend on Dayboys.

As you may recall, I was one of about 7 dayboys who attended Mount, my 2 years there allowed me a very nice, very valuable lesson which in later years has afforded me to benefit of trying to help others.
This valuable lesson was the psychological reality of being “one of the less fortunate observing the better off with all their built in security they had”, while I, as a Dayboy at Mount, I often had the feeling, which I could not analyze specifically at the time that the Dayboys were 2nd best. I hold no bitterness but I have never forgotten the lesson. CI

(I also felt the same way after the regular hedging and harassing of the Dayboys, those that did not go home early, by the 1st best?? Ed.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I have placed the “insight” note because I have not heard or read from these oldboys, who were about three to four years older. I started Form I in January 1956.
I can testify that the tower was large and it was not easy to build.
The tower was built on its side with the idea of up-righting it using ropes.
This method did not work as the bamboo was green, recently cut and the ropes new.
When the first try to upright was tried, some of the ropes splicing the bamboo gave way and slipped, and some bamboos snapped.
The Scouts did not give up, ropes were added and bamboo strengthened.
The final action should be told by one of those that were there at the final moment.
All that I can say was that my first look at the structure in the upright position, I was overwhelmed by its height.
On the first day it was not beautiful since it was bent and needing squaring up.
I presume that this was done by the time the photo was taken and the judges arrived.
Thank you for the photo.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Here is an oldie for you from John Skinner

31 January 1982

Received all your Christmas Greetings and BULL No.2 which I wish I could open a bit of a correspondence with some of the Oldboys, the list is fantastic.
I don’t know how you manage to keep it up.
I certainly could not, one thing which did stand out, was that everyone has left T´dad to live in Canada.
Well let’s begin by wishing you all a Prosperous New Year.

Well I am now a member of the 2H Club (Hernia and Haemorrhoids).
I went into the Hospital on the 7th of January and they operated on the 8th, left all to plan on the 15th and all is going well only ting is the boredom as the weather isn’t what you call suitable for a stroll in the garden with the temperature about zero.
The winter has been pretty bad although in Derby we have been fortunate and have not had the floods and any blizzards, but very cold and lots of snow we have been fortunate and have had no frozen pipes.
Martin had one freeze up could not get any water in the kitchen and the toilet froze how ever the young married couple have learnt that there are other things that require keeping warm, so now they have a heater in the bathroom.
Gill is busy with the wedding preparations she has made the cake, it will have is be iced and that is going to be a job.
I suppose mentioned that Joy is getting married to Connor Macmahon, the wedding will be at St. Mary´s on 1st of May. Top hat and tails do, must get down and order the suit, hire of course.
Joy is having to do a lot of travelling back ad forward between London and Derby ( Connor by the way is a Chef) and with them living in London and getting married in Derby it does have difficulties.
We did expect to go to Broadstairs to Mona´s wedding, she is getting married to a Aussie and was to be in July but I heard from Peter and Sheila that his sister is also getting married and they plan a joint wedding some time in August.
So the Motorcycle Scrambling starts in March and we are looking forward to a good season.
I am hopeful of getting the Group Coordinator job for the North East Midlands.
Derby Sporting are in a new group formed this year and it looks to be a very strong group with some of the top riders in the country.
Derby is fortunate to hove the 1981 Superclass Champion and runner-up in the 250cc class.
Robert has got on well and is now an expert, he has done better since he changed from 250cc to the 125cc. mainly due to the 125cc being a better bike, can’t afford a new one this year so we have to give it a good overhaul and right now its being stripped down, new rings, all bearings greased up, etc.
Alison is quite grown up and at 15 she could pass up for 18, when all painted up she is quite tall and it makes her look older.
Studying hard for her “O” levels and seems to be getting on very well.
And it is in these hard times, when so many seem to be having trouble getting work, we have only hope that things change and when the time come to leave school, there are many more opportunities going.
Robert has had a short period last year when he was on short time but has been fortunate till now.
Martin has not been so lucky as he has been on 3 day and 4 day weeks for many months and looking to change jobs is a bit of a risk as you never know which is more stable.
Well I have jumped about a bit and hope to finish this letter tonight.
Gill has gone to bed and I am watching (with one eye) the T.V. and trying to write some sense.
The few birds I have are getting through the winter.
I have bred a lot of the small Chinese Pointed Quail last year was not able to sell them so have wintered them in the shed and hoping when the spring comes I can get rid of the surplus also bred a lot of Bengalese Finches must get rid of them as they breed too fast would like to get some soft bills but they take a lot more care and I haven’t got as much time now with being away every Sunday at the Motocross meetings.

Thanks once again for all your news and hope we keep in touch the years fly and who knows we may one day take a trip your way.

John and Gill
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And that is for now, keep your photos and letters coming in.
For those in the 1960, 1970, 1980 until 1985, If you do not send photos, how can I attach them to the Circulars????

God Bless
Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos. By Roger and David Ames, 617280, Roger Ames, Armadillo lunch 150 15, hungry 150 15
(These photos are part of the ones received, so they shall be sent in various editions so that your inbox is not overloaded. Ed)
Column: dbratt ,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: