Saturday, December 25, 2004

Circular No 164



Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 25 of December 2004. Circular No. 164

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

I am sorry to inform you that in the files received from Arthur Knaggs, BULL No. 10 is missing.
Can anyone help with a copy???
So instead I am going to send a copy of some of the letters that would have made this Bull No.10.
Remember to send in comments in case you would like to add, delete or modify anything that is being sent.

Need information on the ALUMNI that are to be mentioned, I do not have all the email addresses and telephones, or even the wellbeing for some of them.

So here is the first letter:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4-2-83

Dear Arthur,

Received the O.A.S.I.S. through Ainsley.
The present Rotarians of S/Fdo decided to form a second Rotary Club with a dinner meeting, as the present ones is a luncheon meeting, and I am a member of this new Club, and see AINSLEY quite often.
A bit of sad news, if not reached you as yet, Father Leo past away on Monday 31st Jan 83, I enclose a clipping from T’dad Guardian.
It was very sad, as the church he built in La Romain is completed, but father was still trying to do more.
How is Valentine and the children? Give my love.
We are all fine.
Spent Christmas in B’dos with mum.
Things are brightening up at the Hotel, hope they keep going like that.
Not to much happening these days in T’dad, the oil fields are very slow, but as you know I now work for WIMCO Ltd, and we do not do too much with the oil companies.
Our medical sales, welding and tractor undercarriage parts are doing pretty O.K.
The line pipe business is slow,
I hope Texaco and the government can solve their problems and get things going again.
LAWRENCE MACAULAY is fine, and I believe business is good with him.
MIKE AMES is no longer with Texaco, formed a new company. Mike, ERNEST WILLIAMS and MIKE MAHABIR, Machine Shop Work.
Mike is building a house in Palmiste, just behind mine.
Derick and Pat Tempro are back in T’dad at Mayaro.
I notice you got promotion, keep it up.
Today is my birthday, 35 years.
God bless you all
Steven Tempro

(Who is Ainsley?? Ed.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dec.5 1982

I cannot believe that Christmas is upon us again!
I have come to the conclusion that the older you get the faster time goes by.
When I was young I was bored, so much time, nothing to do.
Sorry I have not written sooner.
Enclosing is my check for $10.00,
I do not know what kind of response you got.
Hope it was good.
Apparently it was not, as I have not seen a recent bulletin from you.
I have thought about some sort of Old Boys Reunion, especially for us living here in North America.
Have you?.
Apparently you did not receive my Christmas card last year as I see you left DAVID DE CASTRO´s address out.
I do not know what he is doing these days.
He is still crazy as when you and I know him in school, and loves to play the Quattro and sing calypso.
My eldest child (daughter) is 22,
My 2nd Nicolas will be 21 this month and is married 2 years.
My 3rd (girl) has graduated from high school and is attending college here in Lakeland.
2 more girls, one in High and one in Junior, 15 + 13.
I am not a grandfather yet.
Have no desire to be even thought I am 50 going on 51.
Have you seen IAN SHOUL recently?
Have not heard word from him in over a year.
Still remember those wonderful old days we had together.
Have not been to Antigua in 12 years.
Left Trinidad 9 years ago, never been back.
Was in the Cayman Islands in 1979, great vacation spot.
Mother, Duncan and Peter still live in Lakeland.
Blanca remarried and now lives in Pennsylvania.
Inflation + underemployment is eating us up.
STANLEY FERGUSON
---------------------------------------------------------------------
14 Nov 81

Dear Art from Dart,
Received both your letters of contact and now making the effort to reply, among others.
I am still with the same wife and 3 children.
The eldest is working on a rig in Trinidad, the second at boarding school in UK and the last, a girl 13, preparing to attend boarding school in Australia, next year.
We have been in Abu Dhabi for 6 ½ years, our second foreign assignment since leaving Trinidad in 1968.
Previous to this, I was 6 ½ years in Peru.
Perhaps it is time to move again.
We are still citizens of T&T but intend migrating to Australia (Perth) in 1983.
Time alone will confirm the degree of successes of this plan.
Life in Abu Dhabi is acceptable; the good points far outweigh the bad.
Only complains really are the weather in the hot months, and the somewhat restricted quality of life.
Better, however, than any other area in the Middle East.
An old Mountie, Robert Anderson (after the Class of 1949) lives here as well.
Perhaps you may care to write him.
Can’t promise to maintain too steady a correspondence, as the pressure of my own affairs do consume more than the time I really care to spend on them.
This makes extra letter writing more than a serious effort.
However will do what I can to keep in touch.
Also intend visiting Trinidad early net year.
Perhaps for my last Carnival.
Just remember LAERY O´CONNOR and RICHARD who also live in Perth.
You should be able to obtain their address from ANTHONY LLANOS.
Thanks again for your letters.
Will look forward to others as long they come out.
Sincerely,
DESMOND LITTLEPAGE
---------------------------------------------------------------
17/1/83

Dear Arturo,
I have received January O.A.S.I.S. for December 1982 and have enjoyed it as usual.
I am enclosing my contribution of $10.00 as requested.
Since I wrote you last week, nothing sensational has happened are our way, except a Major fire in P.O.S.
The fire of 25 Jan which destroyed almost the entire block between Henry and Charlotte St. in lower Independence Square- Arson suspected as usual.!!
Carnival is in the air, February 15, 16 to be exact and as usual despite recession etc.
Trinis are striking, their habit as usual without any apparent cares in the world.
Regards to all the family
Sincerely
Chris Krogh
-------------------------------------------------------
5 January 1983

Dear Arthuro and family,
I got the shock of my life last night when I saw my letter returned and why, well it seems the address was off and you are not notorious amongst the police.
I am sending it again, this time under cover of this letter; maybe it will reach this year.
Well, we went with the Jolly Roger and it was jolly, though the financial success was not that hot.
As you see from the date above, we are in the New Year and so I wish you all a happy, blessed and prosperous New Year, with all fun and happiness the Good Lord and yourselves can supply.
We were supposed to have started school already but St. John Road is closed for it is open (a bridge give away and so the whole section collapsed), they are working at it and hope to finish sufficiently to pass by midday today.
You see in this kindness the Lord give us till Sunday to recuperate from all our prayers and feting.
He also blesses us with plenty of rain.
Fr. Paul returned last week to Holland where he is living in a home for the retired missionaries.
Abbot Bernard is trying to enjoy his new way of living in the Monastery, the new wing (where the old wooden corridor was) was occupied by the New Year.
Fr. Peter is almost back to his old youth.
Mr. Willy Carter and Miss Kitty Marcus are in St. Peter’s Home for the aged (built to the north of our Sports Field).
Fr. Ildefons is charismatically driving his motorbike all over the island.
The marriage encounter had a big rally here at the end of November and quite a few past Abbey School boys are actively involved.
They are trying to catch me, but I cannot find the right nun as yet, for I don’t want to encounter marriage.
But how are you all doing??
I hope as well as it can be, keeping cool and behaving like good scouts.
May God bless you and your work.
Cuthbert
---------------------------------------------------------
You must be wondering if Mount still exists.
Well now you know, otherwise this letter would not have been written and consequently the postman (or post lady) would not have delivered same at your home.
As it is we are still going on.
The influx of student is less for the school fees are getting very high (my salary is still only board and lodge). Sunday we had our scout investitures: 7 scouts became Venture Scouts and 14 boys joined the troop.
All this happened after a weekend camp at the back of the sports field.
Even the drum and bugle band could be heard from far.
BROTHER FRANCIS does a marvellous job and BERNARD LANGE is still ruling the Venture Scouts, though he teaches at St. Joseph College.
Maybe you heard about the “Jolly Roger” cruise which existed for some time in Barbados and now also exists in Trinidad and Mr. RUSSEL CUNHA is P.R.
So we the scouts of the 2nd Mt. St. Benedict rented the boat with crew, food and drink for Saturday 27th Nov. 1982, hoping to make it jolly and financially profitable.
For our parent Committee wants to send 3 leaders and 17 scouts to the world Jamboree in Canada next year (maybe you heard about the Jamboree from your friends) a rather ambitious scheme, but for them realistic.
A pity the Jamboree is not in Nova Scotia.
By the way I returned from Holland still the same (+5 pounds).
Abbot Bernard is now back in his wheel chair, happy to be back and Fr. Peter seems to get back all his energy.
Happily I have to stop, space is lacking and my time is running out.
Best wishes and lots of blessing to all of you.
Cuthbert
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have restarted sending the Circulars. So start writing, Make this your New Years resolution.

REMEMBER TO PAY YOUR DUE, 50 WORDS PER YEAR.

God Bless

Ladislao
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo:.Roberto Bodington, photo 2b1 and 2b2, please make comments on the photos.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: