Saturday, December 04, 2004

Circular No 161



Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 4 of December 2004. Circular No. 161
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

I am going to send this Circular with news of Richard Driver, from Canada.
Maybe you could be in the next issue of the Circular??.

Also I have been told that you have been missing some issues that have gone out blank.
This is possible as I have told you I am experimenting with five servers, Hotmail, Yahoo, Icqmail, Cantv, and Netscape.
The Hotmail addresses go out by Hotmail.
Yahoo and Aol by Yahoo.
The Netscape is being used for Wow, Opus, Trinidad, Carib-link etc. those living in TT.
The Cantv server is for Venezuelan guys.
And Icq is for the rest.

If you chat with your friends ask them about the newest Circular, it could be that you are not getting the Circulars, please inquire.
Maybe you have not paid the dues, 50 words per year!!!.
--------------------------------------------------------------
From: "rdriver" <rdriver@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:26:59 -0700

Hi Ladislao,
I guess you have shamed me into putting in my 2 bits.
It has been quite while since I last wrote, basically, just lazy.
I retired 2 years ago after 42 years with NCR in Guyana, Suriname, and Canada.
Now I volunteer a couple days a week at the local Food Bank, also do Meals on wheels with my wife.
Living here on the West coast of Canada, I see very few West Indians and far fewer MSB old timers, Bruce Peter (1950's) the exception.
Some years ago on a trip to the Maritime museum with a few visitors from Toronto, I was approached by a lady who asked if we were from T'dad. I explained we were from Guyana, but that I had connections with T'dad, my mother a Trinidadian, I also lived there for a few years in the mid fifties, and did spend a few years at MSB.
She then mentioned she had a cousin/uncle who was a priest there, Fr. Leesing.
That brought back quite a few memories, some quite "painful" as he administered justice after some "infraction", getting caught picking mangoes unlawfully, Smoking, (haven't touched one since) etc.
I also remember he was pretty good at marbles.
Thanks to your bulletins I was able to find Fr. Hildebrand back in Guyana.
Thanks for everything.
Richard

---------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 05:31:03 -0700 (PDT)
To: "rdriver" <rdriver@telus.net>

Dear Richard,
Thank you for the lines.
I am glad you bumped into the lady. It got me a story.
Remember that the letters you write to others can also be a good source for the Circular.
Just write them in such a way that they can be used without editing.
But you still owe me for the Circulars !!!
No money please but the name of your classmates and those that you remember from your time.
Were there air scouts whose leader was Fr. Leo???
Exactly when did you graduate Form V, no matter in which school.
Fr. Bernard was your teacher??
Did you know Anthony Lucky, John skinner?
Of the clergy in the anniversary photo, whom do you remember?
What did they do ?
Now with all the questions I am sure you can pay me back with a few hundred letters.
God Bless
Ladislao
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "rdriver" <rdriver@telus.net> View Contact Details
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:06:01 -0700

Hi Ladislao,
you may be sorry you got me started, however, here are 2 email addresses:
Benedict Lopes benedictlopes@sympatico.ca,
Bruce Peter brucepeter@telus.net
Benedict is a lawyer in Toronto, Bruce lives just outside Vancouver BC, he is retired but does some consulting.
Think he's a structural engineer.
regards.
rd
------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "rdriver" <rdriver@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:30:36 -0700

Hi Ladislao,
Just look at the BBC news, quite a fire in your neck of the woods.
Got this article from today's Trinidad Guardian. (about the story on MSB)
Re Bruce Peter, I see him occasionally, but don't know John Skinner, is he in Vancouver?
Regard.
rd
--------------------------------------------------------------
From: "rdriver" <rdriver@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:07:55 -0700

Hi Lazslo,
The article was in the "features" section of the online Guardian on Sunday 17th.
Regards.
Rd

-------------------------------------------------------------
From: lazslo kertesz
To: rdriver
Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2004 6:08 PM

Thank you, Richard,
What was the name of the article you sent, I tried to look it up but no luck.
John Skinner 1948/49 is in uk.
God bless
Ladislao Kertesz
---------------------------------------------------------------------
rdriver <rdriver@telus.net> wrote:

Hi Ladislao,
Just look at the BBC news, quite a fire in your neck of the woods.
Got this article from today's Trinidad Guardian.
Re Bruce Peter, I see him occasionally, but don't know John Skinner, is he in Vancouver?
Regard.
rd
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:06:36 -0700 (PDT)
To: "rdriver" <rdriver@telus.net>

Dear Richard,
It is not true that you do not have MSB neighbours. There are some:
we have one in Saskatchewan, others in BC,
Need the email of Bruce, Peter, I suppose Peter is the first name?
If you want to contact them?
Thank you for the lines
Did you know John Skinner?
God Bless
LAdislao
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is some of the older correspondence.

From: Richard Driver <rdriver37@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 16:13:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Ladislao,
Your “newsletters'" as they come in, have lots of the names I know, mainly from living in T'dad. in the '50's, however your one before last had an article on the Benedictines in Bartica, Guyana, there I came across the name of an old (Long-time) school friend from Guyana. Fr. Kevin Hildebrand Green and I knocked around together quite a bit. I knew he was at MSB but hadn't seen him for close to 50 years. We are now it touch again, with him in Bartica, and me in Vancouver C'da.
Email works wonders.
Thanks again
I'm sending you an email address for Bruce Peter (from St Lucia) and was at Mount in the '50s brucepeter@telus.net.
Regards to all
Richard Driver.
------------------------------------------------------------
From: Richard Driver <rdriver37@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 11:46:12 -0800 (PST)

Hi Las, I left MSB in49?? it was really interesting getting your email, (nearly didn't open it, glad I did).
Going through your list brought back many memories.
I have forwarded the email to some people I remember, and whose names I don't see.
Like I said, I left in '49 (form 1?) and went back to Guyana and finished school there.
I now live in British Columbia, C'da. with my wife Pauline and two "kids", my daughter Catherine 27, lives in Vancouver, and my son Mark 24, lives in Toronto.
I just retired after 42 years at NCR corp.
Hey, how did you find my email address?
Hope you and your Family have a very Merry Christmas and all the best for '03.
Thanks again.
Richard Driver.
----------------------------------------------------------------
I hope to get out the New Years issue on time, please help!!
I have made my resolution early.

God Bless

Ladislao
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos: By Roberto Bodington, please identify the photos, send photo number
and names, year? 161a, 161b
Column: dbratt , for the mothers
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: