Saturday, November 27, 2004

Circular No 160



Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 27 of November 2004. Circular No. 160
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

I am sorry to inform you that in the files received from Arthur Knaggs, BULL No. 9 is missing.
Can anyone help with a copy???
So instead I am going to send a copy of some of the letters that would have made this Bull No.9.
Remember to send in comments in case you would like to add, delete or modify anything that is being sent.

Need information on the ALUMNI that are to be mentioned, I do not have all the email addresses and telephones, or even the wellbeing for some of them.

So here is the first letter:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sept. 9, 1982

Dear Arthur
Just a quick line while at work to say hello and to enclose a cheque for $20.00 (postage for Stephen Shoul and myself).
We spent the month of August in Antigua and had a lonely day as guests of Stephen and family.
His wife Jenny, came to Canada in late August to put their two eldest kids (Robbie and Nicole) to school.
We are all fine and had a really lovely time in Antigua.
The kids are back at school and Jeanie has resumed her part-time job in the Gold Department of Bank of Nova Scotia, so if you want to buy 100oz every week, you know who to phone!
Next Thursday, I am off to Trinidad for a week on business for the Bank.
This is my third trip there for the year, so I have been lucky re: seeing the family.
Hope all is well at your end and that Val and the family are in great shape.
No doubt, like all of us, you are dying for the snow and slush of winter.
I spent 4 years at St. Mary’s University, so have experienced the bleak N.S. winter!.
Good Luck.
Hugh Henderson
------------------------------------------------------------------
16 Nov. 1982

Dear Arthur
Many thanks for O.A.S.I.S. a well presented newsletter which I am sure most will agree.
I am sorry I have not written before to thank you and I really have not excuse.
We at home are all in good health I have changed jobs and back into the finance industry with the Towns and Country Building Society as their Organization and Methods Officer doing similar work to when I was with Barclays in Trinidad.
My avocados are doing very well and some of the trees I planted last October are over 6 feet tall of which about 70% flowered, with some luck I may get some fruit.
This year I am putting in 100 more trees.
It is hard work and without Mark, my son’s help I don’t know how I could cope.
He is now 17 and taller and bigger than I am.
He has one more year of school after which he hopes to go to University to take a degree in Agriculture.
Naomi is 15 and still small for her age.
She has her own horse and takes part in various competitions in which she has won a couple ribbons.
Teresa who got married still works in the Bank and no grandsons in sight.
Do you remember Mona Lisa Skinner, Peter´s daughter; well she got married to Kevin Blade´s son of the Blades from Barbados who is our very good friend.
The couple got married in August and now live out here in Perth.
The last time I saw her was in Arima, what a small world.
By the way how are all the folks in Arima, give them my regards when next you write them.
Well I must close for now and hope all is well with you and your family, my regards to Arthur Bell when next you speak to him.
All the best and have a Merry and Peaceful Christmas.
Regards from Anthony and all at “Maracas”
PS. Donation enclosed, don’t spend all in grog, but have one for us at Christmas.

Anthony Llanos
--------------------------------------------------------------------
January 17, 1983

Dear Arthur
I received your “little bulletin”, O.A.S.I.S., dated December 1982, today and in the light of your additional note make haste to reply.
If I really had to update you about myself, it would take the equivalent of seven editions of O.A.S.I.S.

If I had to tell you about my cousin Winston, not my brother, unless of course you mean that we are all brothers, then he now lives in Trinidad with his family at 65 Victorian Gardens, Diego Martin and is a quite a successful businessman.
For Winston I can give you about a paragraph.

With respect to making headlines, thank goodness you did not see what they did to me before Christmas and more recently what they have been doing to me; putting my name up as a candidate for the Judiciary.
“Me, a High Court Judge? Amazing, isn’t it!”. Suffice it to say that rumors are still rampart in Trinidad.

With respect to the financial appeal, I will shock you with my contributions as soon as I get permission to remit and surprise you even further when I include something from Ray.

Best wishes to you and your family
Sincerely

Anthony Lucky
-------------------------------------------------------------------
19 Jan 1983

Dear Arthur,
Thanks for the OASIS, which needless to say I was rather surprised to receive as I had no idea that such an organization even existed far less was run by you in Canada.
To tell the truth I have never really kept up with the Mount as after leaving in 1958, I went to England and never returned to T´dad till 1963.
As you know I only spent six years in T´dad then left to work overseas, and hardly ever go back home as all the family are now in Australia and Frances Ann´s in Canada (Vancouver).
Anyway, it was nice to receive the Circular letter and I enjoyed reading of people I knew (and some I didn’t).
My news is that since leaving T´dad I have worked for Dowell Schlumberger in Libya (1yr), Argentina (5yrs), Brazil (3yrs), Brunei on the island of Borneo (3yrs) and presently in Norway (1 1/2yrs).
Our daughter Joanna who is now eight came along whilst we were in Argentina; she is our only “gold bean”.
As you can see from the card enclosed I am the manager for Norway and can assure you it is very interesting and challenging job as the labour laws and safety regulations keep you on you toes!!.
PHILL SCOTT who you asked about is in Aberdeen.
MICHAEL SCOTT who I believe is also an old boy now lives in Houston, as does RAYMOND DEVERTEUIL who is also an old boy.
Well Arthur, hope all this is of some interest to you and your readers.
Also, pls wish you, your family and readers a Happy and Holy New Year from us.
Best regards
Esmond Lange.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Arthur and Val,

“O come again with gladness, your Christmas songs upraise, to magnify your Saviour, and sing His worthy praise”.

And with very prayerful wish for God’s abundant blessing of good health, happiness and success so as to make the New Year truly Prosperous for you and the Children!.
Thanks also for the Ten Commandments, etc.
Fr. Bernard came back to the Abbey, and he is able to move around only in a wheel-chair.
It seems he has some other complaint on top of it all, but I do not know really what.
He surely is a very courageous person
With all good wishes and kindest regards from us all,
Sincerely yours.
Adelbert Van Duin

Who was the photographer who took those beautiful pictures?

(Fr. Abbot had a very nice way of writing and saying things. Ed)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you want to be in the Circular??

REMEMBER TO PAY YOUR DUE, 50 WORDS PER YEAR.

This issue had all the Hotmail, Yahoo and Cantv emails send through each email address book. All the others were sent by Icqmail. Trying to clean the email list!!

God Bless

Ladislao
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo: By Roberto Bodington
Column: dbratt , Life in Trinidad
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: