Saturday, November 13, 2004

Circular No 158



Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 13 of November 2004. Circular No. 158
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number to idmitch@anguillanet.com. Don (1964) has now retired from the Supreme Court and gladly will help you

I have been trying to get some more of the old boys, especially those in Trinidad.
I have taken out of internet the following article, hoping that Richard Fakoory is one of our alumni. Please those that know him R.S.V:P:

Football Superstar Rangers chairman Richard Fakoory and Pro Sports Caribbean representative Peter Miller were guests of the club
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These next few Circulars are going to be short, because of my lack of time.
Maybe you could write some more to help me in setting up the circulars??
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have reprinted this for my friend CD collectors; I have news from a long forgotten CD made by a Choir The Assumption Folk Chorale directed by our friend and old boy Nigel Boos.
Here is the story:

Dear Las,

I'd very much like to be there with my friends, but my work does not permit a visit to Trinidad at this time.
So I'll just have to leave it alone, I think, and wish everyone who attends lots of love and peace and happiness.
I've already communicated this to the group, but I'm quite sure they can get along fine without me.
The last time I met with the Choir was in 1985 when I was asked to conduct them for the 15th Anniversary Celebrations at Assumption Church.
It was really something special.
When I walked into the Church for the practice, I could hardly believe it - - - so many of the "kids' had turned up that 1/3 of the church was filled with Choir members and their husbands / wives and muchos ninos.
I felt a great lump in my throat and when I got to the podium eventually and started them off on one of our old favourites, "The Battle Hymn of the Republic", the years simply fell away. It was as if they hadn't missed a beat since my last meeting with them 11 years before.
The Choir has formed an important part of my life, Las, and I believe that God must have used me to draw some of his children back to him, through music.
Many of these young people are today extremely active in the Charismatic Renewal in Trinidad and elsewhere, so maybe we did have an effect, after all.
Can you make a story out of all of that?

Nigel
--------------------------------------------------------
Las,

This isn't really a news item.
But for the record, it's just a record I made with a choir I founded in 1969 by the name of "The Assumption Folk Chorale".
The Choir operated (and probably still does) out of the Assumption Church in Maraval.
At the time of founding it, I had intended it to be a forum for teenage religious expression and no effort was ever made to exclude anyone of any faith whatever.
Basically, I tried to encourage youngsters who wanted to meet together in a communal spirit to praise God and to enjoy one another's company.
We had blacks, white, pinks, browns, yellows, greens, purples, reds, and practically every hue of the human condition.
We had a wonderful time, and the record was one of our productions intended to document the fact of our existence, and to demonstrate new forms of praise and worship.
The teenagers of 1969 -1974 are now turning 50 and they're having a get-together in Mayaro in August 2002.
I understand that they're coming together from many parts of the world for the occasion, and they'll be attempting to celebrate the mass using the songs we loved back in the distant past. So much for the news item.
Good luck in all your efforts, Las.

Nigel
--------------------------------------------------------
Dear Salvador,

Thank you for your kind words and for the memories. I agree, our days at MSB were special, although perhaps we didn't think so at the time.
It is wonderful to see how Ladislao has been able to bring so many of us together through the use of the computer.
The record you're referring to was made back in 1970 and it seems to have become a sort of rallying point for the teenagers of those days, who are getting together again next month in Trinidad to celebrate their "Group Age 50" since so many of them are turning 50 either last year, this year or next year.
Thanks also for the invitation to contact you in Louisiana.
May I extend the same courtesy to you if you should happen to pass through Ajax, Ontario.
God bless, and keep the faith.

Nigel
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Salco56@cs.com, wrote:

Hello Nigel, it has been a very long time.
My name is, Salvador Coscarart and my brother Pedro, we both went to the Abbey School in 67 to 75.
We are from Venezuela, two years ago we went to visit our sisters and she gave us back a record that I had purchased in Trinidad, it was one of your records and your Choir,
I also found a picture taken at the abbey refectory during a mass with the boy scouts and your Choir, Father Cuthbert was saying the mass and you were standing behind him.
Just wanted to tell you hello and IĆ¢€™m glad to know you have done good for yourself,
I have been in contact with, Tony Johnson and Ladislao, it is also nice to have met new oldboys from Mount,
I live in the USA now in Louisiana, Lafayette.
If you ever come around this way you are welcome, my phone and address are in the Abbey School Web, best wishes God bless

Salvador Coscarart Msb Old Boy.

For those that like to collect Choir music, please contact either Nigel or Salvador. CDs are part of our history.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SCOUTING OR NO SCOUTING.

There is a lack of news on scouting activity.
I cannot believe that this activity did not leave a mark on its members.
How about the yearly trek to the North coast?? for those wanting the badge (called the Breaking out badge, Or was it something else?), maybe someone can tell me the badge's name??
And the other badges, can anyone remember at least some of the names??
Those that were the Queen's Scouts??? Can you raise your hands??
And better yet, those that were King's Scouts?? Any alive??
I would like to include your names in the big list, for posterity!!!!
What did you do to get them?? I cannot believe that all of you threw the badges away as soon you left the school, as something without value!!!
What about the structures that were build for the annual competition???
I only got photos for two, the watchtower at the swimming pool site built in 1956, and the Caura river camp.
But I know that every year something new was built, can any one help???
Non scouts please help our scouting brethren with a line or two!!!.
Why were they built?? for what??? competition against whom??
I can write about the scouts as I saw them from the outside but that is not fair.
I cannot conceive that the continuous practice of: flag waving, construction, cooking delicious chicken, making dozens of knots, memorizing booklets, wonderful camping, sightseeing trips by WV bus, taking the oath and Fr.Ildefons tutoring, did not make a story.
I still have my Royal Lifesaving medallion and cross and still remember how I got them, but that is for another story.
I still buy sew on badges for both, from RLSS in UK. for use in my bathing suit, when they get old!! it helps to create conversation with children and friends.

(Maybe Issais Farcheg with his mighty pen can help us out. Ed.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am enclosing two photos of the Matias Fedak´s family.
I am sorry that I have no report or resume, also that I have no names to include.
The only news that I have is that Matias is in ecology tourism, has a farm outside Caracas, some say that it is spectacular, but that is hearsay.
Maybe when I get invited I can give you details!!!
I have met him twice during dinners that brought a few of us friend together, about three years ago.
As you see our Caracas MSB get together is as frequent as the Presidents election.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
God Bless
Ladislao
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look us up at http://www.theabbeyschool.com an all class msb web site.
Look at www.paxabbey.com for information on the Monastery, Mt St. Benedict.
For those that want to communicate with the web, use, webmaster@theabbeyschool.com
Send information to: Ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com if you would like to be in the circular's mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include. Telf. 0 (212) 263.5346 Caracas.
Use Kaviacion@cantv.net or kertesz11@yahoo.com for photos as I leave enough storage space for these.
Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number to idmitch@anguillanet.com

For those that would like to contact me here I include my telephones:
Telf.Office: 58 (212) 263.5346, 267.2416, From: 11:00GMT to 22:00GMT
FAX: 58 (212) 261.0829,
Home: 58 (212) 238.4084. From: 00:00 GMT to 04:00 GMT
Cellphone: +58 (0416) 612.5695
Remember that Venezuela's time is the same as Trinidad's, -04:00 GMT.
__________________________________________________________________


No comments: