Saturday, November 20, 2004

Circular No 159




Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 20 of November 2004. Circular No. 159
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends

Thanks to Ian for his resume, I hope that some of you, especially those that have not sent in their dues, would make make it soon to keep the words flowing.


De: Ian de Verteuil [ irdev@shaw.ca ]
Fecha: 20/09/2004 00:11:08

Hi Ladislao,
I have been meaning to do this for quite a while and finally got down to it.
I was in the class of '58 with Csaba and Azier Atela et al.
After I left Mount in 1958 I went to St Mary's University in Halifax.
Didn't graduate and eventually moved to Toronto and worked for Pittsburgh Paints in the development lab.
After 10 years there I couldn't see any great future and I have always liked working with my hands so I took the plunge and went to work for a truck repair company as an apprentice mechanic (age 32).
I am still at it and have been an Auto Technician for the local Ford dealer for the past 23 years.
In Ford National Technician competitions I placed first in BC in 1984, 85 an 86 and 2nd in Canada in 1985.
I also helped coach five Provincial winning teams in the Ford High School Auto Skills Contest, one of which went on to win the Canadian Championship.
I plan to retire later next year.
I married Joan Galt in 1968 (she is Swami and Turtle Back's cousin) and we lived in Toronto and Mississauga, Ontario until we moved out to Vancouver Island, BC, in 1980.
We now live in Duncan on Vancouver Island.
We have three kids - Peter (33) and his wife, Jennifer, have a 20 month old daughter and they live in Duncan; Suzanne (29) and her husband, Andrew, live in Vancouver; and our youngest son Andrew (25), single and also lives in Vancouver.
As far as I am concerned Vancouver Island is the place to live in Canada.
The weather is milder than the rest of the country, not too hot in the summer and not too cold in the winter.
We really like it here; the only downside is that we don't have any other family close by. Joan's family still live in Trinidad and mine are scattered, three brothers and my mom in Toronto, two sisters and a brother in England and a brother in Australia.
Peter joined Cubs in February 1981 and I became a Cub leader in April of that year.
Two years as a Cub leader, 15 years as a scout leader and 5 years on the Group Committee - the last four as Group Chair.
This is fabulous country for camping and we were out almost every other month for most of that time.
I retired from scouting a couple of years ago but I still go to the annual banquet in February as it was a big part of my life for so long - its hard to let go.
We bought a 17.5 ft runabout in 1989 and I took the Power Squadron Boating course and started on another of my loves.
The fishing here can be great in the lakes, rivers and in the ocean.
We did a lot of fishing from that boat and had a great time water skiing on Shawnigan Lake as well.
In June of 1997 we bought a 25 ft Sea Ray Sundancer and started to go cruising.
We have spent as much as two weeks on her at one time but most trips are just weekenders. We can go out pretty much all year and have been out for New Years.
We even woke up to 3 inches of snow on the deck once but as long as the heater keeps working life is good.
I am attaching a couple photos which I have reduced so I hope they aren't too big.
The first was taken at Christmas.
Our daughter Suzanne is on the left with her husband Andrew behind her.
Next our son Peter and his wife Jennifer and daughter Jessica and then son Andrew and his girlfriend Jocelyn and Joan and I.
The next is of our boat, Bajan (the boat behind us belongs to a couple we boat with quite a bit).
I hope this hasn't been too long winded - feel free to edit if you wish.
I really appreciate your efforts in keeping us posted as to who is where and doing what.
Take care,
Ian

Ian & Joan de Verteuil
2010 Andemere Way
Duncan, BC, V9L 5M1
250-748-6506
irdev@shaw.ca

(I have included the photos sent for the occasion. Ed).
-------------------------------------------------------------
Michael,

Wow! Those photos are really a flash from the past.
My memory is also fading because I cannot remember all the names.
I recognize the faces but I cannot put a name to all.
If you see Allan again tell him his e-mail address is bouncing back.
Perhaps, I have an incorrect e-mail.
How is you son doing in Canada?
You were going to put him in touch with me.
I was elected to the education committee of Factors Chain International last week.
I will be able to travel to Europe 4 times during the year and at least once to the Orient.
The committee of four has a mandate to write 2 manuals this year.
One is on running a finance company in the early stages and another on dispute prevention. This should be fun with a Brit, Turk and a Czech on the committee.
PJ my actor son finally got his mug on the silver screen for a couple of seconds in the opening scenes of Denzell Washington movie, John Q.
He recently did a solo commercial with a speaking role for “String Cheese” on YTV.
Baseball season is fast approaching.
Robert Lee

PS> Tony did a fabulous job with the Mount web-site!

(Dear Robert, miss your lines, send a home run. Ed.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Eric De Verteuil
Date: 10 Dec 05:22 (PST)

Have got an address for Peanuts == 10 Elm Avenue , Bayshore , Trinidad.
Hope to hear tomorrow re Raymond and Paul , both of whom are resident abroad.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Ladislao Kertesz wrote:

Dear Friend,

I am looking for David (peanuts), Paul, Raymond and Roger , who went to the Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, about three or four decades ago.
Can you help??
God Bless
Ladislao Kertesz, Class 1960
-------------------------------------------
From: Eric De Verteuil
Date: 8 Dec 01:25 (PST)

Got your email and should be able to provide you with the addresses.
Give me a couple days.
Regards
Eric de Verteuil

(Please Eric, send in your dues, I am missing your lines. Ed.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
God Bless
Ladislao
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos by Ian de Verteuil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look us up at http://www.theabbeyschool.com, an all class msb web site.
Look at www.paxabbey.com for information on the Monastery, Mt St. Benedict.
For those that want to communicate with the web, use, webmaster@theabbeyschool.com,.
Send information to: Ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com if you would like to be in the circular's mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include. Telf. 0 (212) 263.5346 Caracas.
Use Kaviacion@cantv.net or kertesz11@yahoo.com for photos as I leave enough storage space for these.
Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number to idmitch@anguillanet.com
For those that would like to contact me here I include my telephones:
Telf.Office: 58 (212) 263.5346, 267.2416, From: 11:00GMT to 22:00GMT
FAX: 58 (212) 261.0829,
Home: 58 (212) 238.4084. From: 00:00 GMT to 04:00 GMT
Cellphone: +58 (0416) 612.5695
Remember that Venezuela's time is the same as Trinidad's, -04:00 GMT.



No comments: