Saturday, May 01, 2004

Circular No 130




Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 1 of May 2004. Circular No. 130
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
On this special day I would like to congratulate all those that have made the Circular a weekly proposition and informative media to all the alumni. Now another matter, the names of alumni of the 1980s:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: GON1210@aol.com
Date: 23 Mar 21:38 (PST)

Ladislao,
I will send you all the names I have. But they only go back as far as 1979. I can ask Maxim De Comomond who works at the Mount to see what he can do. I will forward any info I get.
Regards,
Miguel
( Hope to be able to get the promised list!! For the benefit of all. Ed.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are two interesting letters:
From: "John & Priscilla Cunningham" <cunning@geo.net.co>
Date: 15 Feb 10:04 (PST)

Dear Laszlo,
I am not an Old Boy of the Abbey but yes, I do enjoy your newsletters because I am a sister of an Old Boy and my childhood, adolescence and part of my adulthood were spent right under the Abbey, even dated some Abbey boys in my youth. My father's property actually bordered with the Abbey's property. My brother still lives in Trinidad, his name is Gregory Farfan alias Curry Mouth.
Saludos, Priscilla
(I shall include you in the list with the email address. Ed.)
------------------------------------------------------
From: "Annabella Johnson" <amjohnson@sunbeach.net>
Date: 18 Apr 10:24 (PDT)

Dear Ladislao,
Thank you for sending me The Abbey School circulars. I enjoy reading these circulars and know some of the names in them.
I am not a past student of that school but I am Gregory Farfan's sister. Gregory is a past student. We lived just below the Mount. Daddy's lands bounded with Mount St. Benedict and we still have some land there that Gregory is trying to sell and give us our share. Our house was the first house you would see from the Abbey School. I remember well that school and the scouts used to come down the hill and visit Priscilla, our younger sister and myself. I do not recall having met you but have some fond memories of the Mount. I live in Barbados for the past 33 years married to a Barbadian Theo Johnson. We have two sons -- one 31 years old who lives in St. Petersburg, Florida and the second one is 27 and still lives at home with us.
Thanks and best regards,
Annabella Johnson nee Farfan formerly of Santa Margarita Hill, Trinidad
(What a coincidence!!, maybe some of you would remember them. Ed.)
--------------------------------------------------------
From: "Elspeth O'Connor" <peth9@ca.com.au>
Date: 18 Apr 04:13 (PDT)

I can give you Earle Kayne's email address, ekayne@shaw.ca. I enjoyed reading the account of Frs. Cuthbert and Augustine as I remember when they arrived at Mount as young men. It was interesting to hear that yoghurt is now being made at Mount. In my days all they had was the PAX honey!
Sincerely Richard O'Connor
(Thank you Richard, he does not seem to receive the Circulars, it is No. 128 and no response, hope you can confirm that he is well! Ed.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "timothy" <mewhealthcare@bigpond.com>
Date: 22 Apr 02:45 (PDT)

Hi,
Richard Driver in Vancouver sent me your email address and a photo with me on the far right. I would be grateful; if you could include me on your email list and if I can provide any info etc., I will be pleased to do so.
Tim Mew 1950 to 1958 [from memory].
We [Gail "Fernandes" and I moved from Guyana in 1974 to Australia and live in Melbourne, and have five daughters and two grandsons. I have also been trying to get in touch with a friend from around 1956 called Ricky Chacon, an American at MSB, from his time in Venezuela with his family. Do you know of him? Look forward to hearing from you,
Tim
PS: I will send an up-to-date photo of Gail and myself about three weeks old separately.
(The name does not appear on the list, but shall look into it, by the way, do you have Willim´s address. Ed.)
-----------------------------------------------------------
From: Jeremy <tobagojo@trinidad.net>
Date: 23 Feb 11:09 (PST)
Subject: Class 1964

Hello L,
Having a short go (guess) at the Class of 1964. It looks like a snapshot out of 'The Boys on a break from the War - Singapore let's say! Christ, what a collection!
1 Russell Cuhna
2.
3.
4.
5.
6. (A) Clarke - Smart guy; Destined to become a doctor. Sat at the back right-hand corner of the Study Hall.
7. One of those 'Box-Heads' Mitchell - Most likely Gordon 'Alex' [Don't think it's you Don - Alex was always smartest in pose]
8. Paul Tadros (?) Lived in Couva.
9. (Christian?) Gurley [or Brendon]
10. Could be a Tang
11.
12. The American. Good friend of Don Mitchell. [Paul Zeven???]
13. - Can't recall this teacher yet. But must have been a tough bastard to be able to control this lot.
14.
15. Possibly Richard 'Jiggs' Anderson.
16. John 'Johnny'/'Bram' Abraham - The Wild bush-man who made 'Brams Den' in the hills & Guitarest.
17. (Guessing all this now) The resemblance to John (16 above) places him as his brother. [Some years after leaving MSB, I believe that this person died tragically by drowning while aqua-lunging in the caves in the Northern Hill - Coura/Valencia?!] Need to check 'Bram' on that one.
18. A remarkably cool character.
19.
20.
21. Mervin Assam
22.
23. An ubiquitous Herrera. God knows which one though.
24. (This is a shot in the dark) Coonhow? (South Trinidad) A possible genius of philosophy, from what I recall. [Applicable to the person in the picture - Not the name indicated if incorrect]
25. Possible Galt
26. T T T T ?????? David Narrine's left hand. [Topping??]
27. None other than 'Nazi'
28.
29. Could it be: The Posing 'El Tigre' Himself? [Reported dead by suicide on Curacao] Poor fella - A bit overly strung; and was in love with ....
30.
31. A short-ass lively head-case out of Pointe-a-Pierre, Trinidad. Can't recall your name brother, but were you a bunch of trouble! Hope you are well and still kicking strongly. (A de Bruin or something!)
Having read what I've just written + the comments added to the 1966 picture, seems that I have an avid obsession with death recall!
Not so strange how we all became brothers; strange how one wishes to recall their passing.
[Hoping however that I may be at least accurate.]
That's it for now
Cheers
tobagojo
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Jeremy <tobagojo@trinidad.net>
Date: 20 Mar 15:21 (PST)

Suffered email Inbox crash last week. Please resend:
a) Nletters 122 ---> + (?)
(I hope the idmitch@candw.ag, Don Mitchell was able to help you!, ed.)
b) Your recent email directed specifically to (me)
<tobagojo@trinidad.net> - Re: Class 66

(Sorry but I must try to remember as I do not keep the Sent files, most likely I added some names to yours. Ed.)
Have been pleasantly surprised with communications from 'Keke' = "Pal Kecskemeti" <palkecskemeti@cantv.net> We are reviewing photo of Class of 66 and have some more names. Need your email to remember where you got to in sorting out this photo.
Only recently (see I don't pay attention!) discovered your Class of 65; Will try to add a few names to that later.
All for now
Cheers
tobagojo
(Hope you can send me the names of the 1965 bunch, I do not have a photo of the Class. Ed.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now it is the turn of the members of Class 1964 to confirm their names in the photo, and to add those missing. I do not have the email address of those mentioned, can any one help? Rafael Echeverria, can you help? Maybe Robert Huggins can help with the 1965 Class?
You may wonder why I am only sending Roberto Bodington´s photos? it is because none of you have been sending photos for us to look at. Please send a photo of yourself, need not be a MSB era photo!
God Bless
Ladislao
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo: Timothy Mew march 2004
by Robeto Bodington File0001c4 150 15 s130, file0001c2 150 15 s130
Wayne Vincent Brown's column can be seen at www.Jamaicaobserver.com,
Column: dbratt , Recognizing Child Abuse
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: