Saturday, May 22, 2004

Circular No 133




Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 22 of May 2004. Circular No. 133
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Here is the surprise that I promised you two weeks ago. Those who had no chance to meet him and don´t know him; I can say that he was the Bursar and Sportsmaster in the 1950s and 1960s. Great fellow, good friend and I hope that some of you may send articles on those times.

From: Lionel & Merlene Roberts <lrober17@tampabay.rr.com>
Reply-To: lionel.roberts@pobox.com
Date: 7 May 03:15 (PDT)

My dear Ladislao,
My God what a surprise!
Well yes you have found the Lionel Roberts. I am so happy to hear from you, and hopefully by this means I could be in contact with so many of my former students and precious comrades. It seems that you have put together a newsletter which I would be most eager to receive. I have been hungry for news of as many of you as possible and now thanks to you this might be possible.
I shall not be long in this communication, as I regard it as reintroduction to a whole generation of friends and former students which almost tragically was almost passing by. Suffice it to say that I visited the Mount in early January, and had lunch with the new Abbot and remaining monks. My wife Merlene was with me and what a thrill it was to us. Thoughts and fond memories came cascading back to me of those days of yore. On that occasion I met with Brother Rupert who gave me Isaias Farcheg´s address. I promptly wrote him, but to date have not been graced with a reply. I hope that I would more successful with! In my next communication with you I hope to provide you with more information about me and my family. God has been good to me and my family. You will be happy to know that I remain within the bosom of the church. Two years ago I celebrated my Silver Anniversary of my Ordination as a Catholic Deacon. But more of anon.
Ladislao how beautiful it is to hear from you, please reply promptly.
God bless you and your family my friend.
NB: I will be sending you a picture of myself and my wife soon.
Love
(I am sorry that the photo did not arrive in due time for this Circular, but rest assured that it shall be published. Ed.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Lionel & Merlene Roberts <lrober17@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: 7 May 03:31 (PDT)

Hi Ladislao,
I was delighted to receive your communication and pictures so I sat down and drafted such a long reply to you - somehow I seem to have lost it, did you by chance receive it? Please let me know, but, yes, you have found me, Lionel, should you get this, please let us keep in touch and reply as soon as possible -
Warmest regards -
Lionel Roberts
(No, I have not received it, as per my correspondence. Ed.)
----------------------------------------------------------------
I am sorry to make the following observation: There seems to be a common factor between scouts, be useful to others but be short in writing. I am sure that there were about 500 King´s or Queen´s Scouts through the Abbey School's existence, and guess, only one has written on the experience. So I am enclosing an account that came in the 1982s, copy for Mount Inside No.45. Can anyone send the missing issues??? So that we may get the start of the story and also the ending?? Maybe Fr. Alleyne, today in Guyana can provide us with a story or two?

2nd Mt. St. Benedict Scouting Troop
SCOUTING
Having left our Scouts at the Matura Camp in the middle of a rain storm and being chewed by mosquitoes (M.I. issue No. 44) I now continue my report. The Camp also had its bright days which allowed many fun-filled hours in the river and frolicking in the sunshine. At night we walked a few miles along the beach hoping to meet giant leather-back turtles laying eggs in the sand. Even though that experience was not to be ours we nonetheless saw freshly made tractor-like tracks which at least gave us an idea of the enormous size of these creatures. Then there was the night when we caught a 15/// (sorry!) 15" alligator, not exactly the best representative of this reptile species. I am told that the Scout who first stepped on the unfortunate creature has already registered for high jump in the 1982 Athletic Sports. Formality and order were not to be left out from the Camp's Programme. On Friday
afternoon, April 24th, the group assembled in full uniform to officially welcome Paul Guillen into their ranks. Camp participates were exposed to a broad spectrum of Scouting:- extreme weather conditions, endurance, good humour, fun, skill display, inventiveness, etc. A Scout joining under these conditions would have had a very good idea of what the movement is all about.
About 150 guests patronized the Scouts´Annual Candlelight Dinner on the May 2nd. An all day rain cleared to allow the stars and suburban lights to shine through onto our outdoor setting. The continual showers earlier in the day affected the turn-out which was less than expected. Thanks to so many who helped to make the venture a success.
Scouting Correspondent for M.I. No. 43 referred to the Junior Scouts as "Rats". There have been objections to the reference to this particular rodent. Careful, Gregory! I have heard some rumours about rat poison in view of exterminating this term from future reports. Speaking about POISON! I have since been informed that there were some questionable dishes turned out by the venture unit at Caura Camp; dishes which even the dogs refused to eat.
To put the Troop in good stead for the coming term the Junior Scouts are planning a five day camp, here at Mount St. Benedict, during which they intend to put the den in order, carry out repairs, get through some badge work and band practices.
Bro. Francis Alleyne
Scout Leader
P06
------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Michael Azar" <azargroup@myexcel.com>
Date: 9 Apr 16:47 (PDT)

Have a Happy and Blessed Easter. Celebrate the thought that we will all be together eventually.......for all eternity....can you stand it!!!!
May God Bless you all.
Michael Azar
(Big Joe)
--------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Don Mitchell, QC" <maggiedon@anguillanet.com>
Date: 9 May 05:02 (PDT)
To: Maroth_De_Marothy@bmc.com>

Hello Maroth,
Thank you for coming to the rescue. Particularly when you undertake this task when your retirement is so close and you will be under the inevitable stresses. I am good for a year's financial support. Let me know how to make out the draft and the address to post it to, or let me have the details of your bank account to be able to instruct my bank to wire the funds.
Best regards,
Don Mitchell QC
(Are there any other that would like to be on the list? Ed.)
------------------------------------------------------------
From: "David Bratt" <dbratt@trinidad.net>
Date: 9 May 04:32 (PDT)

Ladislao,
What is the address of the Abbey School web page? I am willing to contribute to its development etc. How does one pay?
Congrats again.
David
---------------------------------------------------------
Are you ready to help the effort??? We accept articles in lieu of money!!!!.
God Bless
Ladislao
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo: Bro Vincent and kids, Lionel Roberts, Bro.Vincent
Wayne Vincent Brown's column can be seen at www.Jamaicaobserver.com,
Column: dbratt , vibes
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look us up at http://www.theabbeyschool.com, an all class msb web site.
For those that want to communicate with the web, use, webmaster@theabbeyschool.com,.
Send information to: Ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com, if you would like to be in the
circular's mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
Telf. 0(212) 263.5346 Caracas.
Use Kaviacion@cantv.net for photos as I leave enough storage space for these.
Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received
one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number to idmitch@anguillanet.com
For those that would like to contact me here I include my telephones:
Telf.Office: 58 (212) 263.5346, 267.2416, From: 11:00GMT to 22:00GMT
FAX: 58 (212) 261.0829,
Home: 58 (212) 238.4084. From: 00:00 GMT to 04:00 GMT
Cellphone: +58 (0416) 612.5695
Remember that Venezuela's time is the same as Trinidad's, -04:00 GMT.

No comments: