Saturday, May 08, 2004

Circular No 131



Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 8 of May 2004. Circular No. 131
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOST CONTACT with: Tee Luck Singh Chandra, Graham Gonsalves, John Duleiu (Pilot of Helen air or Liat), Wayne Henderson. These were on our list but over two months ago their email have bounced back as unknown address. Can anyone help????

Dear Friends
I have two wonderful news for you. The first one is about the reactivation of the WEB PAGE, which I describe in this Circular. The second one is reserved for Circular No.133, it is a surprise but I want to torment your guessing powers, and the only clue is that I have found a dear friend of ours, original from British Guiana, whose photo appeared in a Circular 125 and 128, he is ready to exchange emails with you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now here is how the WEB PAGE got transferred from the hands of the founder, Anthony Johnson (1960) to Maroth de Marothy (1958), whom I thank for his diligence. Again thank you Gaby for the effort in setting up the page and keeping it for us
for over one hundred weeks.

From: "De Marothy, Maroth" <Maroth_De_Marothy@bmc.com>
Date: 23 Apr 14:08 (PDT)

Dear Ladislao,
Yes. I could arrange the circulars so that they show up as icons in a tree (like Windows Explorer), sorted by date (and/or number), and when you click the icon, you see the circular. This is not hard but takes time ... Right now time is difficult for me ... but after Oct 1 it won't be so ... I retire from work then ... Still, I hope to make changes to the site soon ... between pressure from work and
wife!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Ladislao Kertesz [mailto:lkertesz2@icqmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 2:00 PM
To: Maroth_De_Marothy@bmc.com
Subject: Re: About the Abbey School web site

Dear Maroth,
I received all the emails on the web exchange, just to let you know. I shall answer soon, first I must get No. 129 out. I agree with the Class listing or organization per graduation year or would have graduated in Form V. These I have placed as whg, or 1964W. The Circulars can be placed as a separate entity in the web page, and from it the photos can be organized per year of graduation Form V. But I am not sure if it can be accommodated so that you can extract one of the Circulars by number?
God Bless
Ladislao
---------------------------------------------------------------------
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:11:53 -0500, "De Marothy, Maroth" wrote:

Hello Ladislao and everyone,
I received email yesterday from Tony Johnson with instructions on how to "inherit" the web site from him. This I did last night. I think we should all commend Tony on the hard work he put in to establish the web site. It's not as easy as some might think! Great job Tony!! Now here are the changes I made yesterday:
1) I upgraded the site from 'free' to 'webmaster' service (see freeservers.com for what that gets us). So no more ads or popups, greater bandwidth, and more disk space.
2) I replaced Tony's email address in some of the pages with my address. But I'll be setting up a more anonymous email address later today (webmaster@theabbeyschool.com)
3) The webmaster service allows us to have up to 25 email addresses (xxxx@theabbeyschool.com). I opened one for me (maroth@theabbeyschool.com) and one for my brother Christopher de Marothy (kristof@theabbeyschool.com), so he can
be my backup in case I keel over. If anyone needs an email address, go the web site and email me.
This 'webmaster' service costs US $13.50/month when paid in advance for a year. This I did, so the site is paid for until April 1, 2005. There was also a 1 time setup charge of $19.95. If anyone feels like sharing the costs, I would be more than happy ... Bill Gates I'm not! But please don't send TT dollars or Bolivars ... might cost too much to convert the currency.
I might have been a bit hasty in signing up with this hosting service (freeservers.com) ... probably should have done more research and tried to find cheaper/better web hosts ... but my time is very limited these days, so maybe next year .... and Tony had all the files there anyway.
As time permits, I would like to do the following: (and let me know what you think about this!)
1) Organize the site by class years. I suspect that most of us are only interested in our class and perhaps the one immediately following or preceding. So all 'people' photos, bios, stories, newsletters, etc. will be by class years.
2) Add Ladislao newsletters somewhere ... perhaps he can publish his newsletter on the web site rather than emailing the Abbey School alumni world.
That's the status of the web site as of today...
Cheers to all and abrazos a los Venezolanos...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Tony Johnson" <jogncpa@winfirst.com>
Date: 19 Apr 07:49 (PDT)
To: "De Marothy, Maroth" <Maroth_De_Marothy@bmc.com>

Hi Maroth,
The website is hosted by "freeservers.com" Click on the member's login button at the top right corner. The name is "theabbeyschool.com" and the password is "xxxxxx". You will be able to download the entire site including the pictures.
I have used Dreamweaver to produce the site. I am not a professional at this. In fact this is the first site I have done, and I did it by trial and error. I have had many good intentions of updating the site but I just have not had time. I am glad that you are willing to take over. If I can help in any other way just let me know.
Good luck and keep up the good work,
Tony Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: De Marothy, Maroth [mailto: Maroth_De_Marothy@bmc.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2004 9:56 PM

Hello Tony,
The email below is the only one I have received so far ... perhaps you can send me the details about the web site again. Primarily, I need access to the files and photos. I'll take care of the $9 month and spiffy up the web site as best as I can given the time I have. I'm retiring Oct 1 this year and will have a lot of time them to devote to the site ... until then I'm extremely busy ... but still, I think some things can be accomplished.
Hope to hear from you soon...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Tony Johnson [mailto:jogncpa@winfirst.com]
Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2004 10:30 PM

Maroth,
I just sent you an email with the details to allow you to take over the website. Let me know if you received it. I can confirm that the site has been downgraded to a free site. That is why there are now advertising banners on the site. It will be necessary to upgrade to a paid site (I believe the cost is $9 per month) in order to remove the advertising banners and in order to allow you to update. To do this you will have to contact the site host "freeservers.com"
Good luck,
Tony
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now let us return to the year 1982, thanks to O.A.S.I.S.

December 15, 1982.
From: J. Gordon Lang
Bogota Colombia
I have been receiving your letters and news bulletins with great interest as always and the reasons for not writing will be disclosed in a Christmas Circular Letter which I plan to mail in the course of next week, Mysterious like Hitchcock, eh! However, what I want to tell you in this letter cannot wait until then. My eldest daughter, Johana (20 years), is going to spend Christmas and the New Year in Connecticut (U.S.A.) with friends and plans to visits Canada for a short while immediately after, which would be around January 7th next. I would greatly appreciate if you could receive her and put up with her, sorry, put her up and guide her as much as you can about studies and universities in your part of Canada. She speaks English. If I don't receive a telex of something from you before then, I shall phone you at your office on Monday, the 13th instant because Johana is leaving for the States on the 15th. She can sleep in the living-room sofa. Anything!.
Love to all
Gordon

(I have looked all through the telephone directory of Colombia and the world, and no MATCH, or at least no positive match, can any one help?? Ed.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
In all the Circulars I ask for the whereabouts of your friends, please take your time and forward this Circular to them or send me the email address so that I may send them this Newsletter. I am sure that you would make someone happy. Can anyone call Charles Prada, St. Catharine, Canada, (905) 6467783, he is an alumni of the 1950s, need an email address for him!!!!.
As to the photos made by Roberto Bodington, no one has been able to recognize them??? Low memory powers??? Lack of Gatorade??? Help!!
God Bless
Ladislao
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo: by Robeto Bodington File0001c6 150 15 s131, file0001c5 150 15 s131
Wayne Vincent Brown's column can be seen at www.Jamaicaobserver.com,
Column: dbratt , torture is abuse too
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look us up at http://www.theabbeyschool.com, an all class msb web site.
Send information to: Ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com, if you would like to be in the
circular's mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
Telf. 0(212) 263.5346 Caracas.
Use Kaviacion@cantv.net for photos as I leave enough storage space for these.
Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received
one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number to idmitch@anguillanet.com
For those that would like to contact me here I include my telephones:
Telf.Office: 58 (212) 263.5346, 267.2416, From: 11:00GMT to 22:00GMT
FAX: 58 (212) 261.0829,
Home: 58 (212) 238.4084. From: 00:00 GMT to 04:00 GMT
Cellphone: +58 (0416) 612.5695
Remember that Venezuela's time is the same as Trinidad's, -04:00 GMT.

No comments: