Saturday, July 03, 2004

Circular No 139



Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 3 Julio 2004. Circular No. 139

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

Here I am including an account taken from memory on an event that had taken place during my time at the school. This I am including so that you may include me in the writers list.

And now <<<<

What can I say, it was a routine when I arrived in 1955 and for some of you the memories of going to Mass might recall happiness but for the majority it was no fun. The bench prefects had to keep their charge awake, no head was allowed to touch the bench top and the kneeling had to be straight, no backside was allowed to touch the seat. This drill, which some objected, did make us what we are today, I do not regret it.

In 1958 there was a change, on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, instead of going to Mass you had the choice to change Mass time for study time. In my case I was one of those that preferred study to Mass, I always had something to write or read, mostly unfinished homework. From the time I entered MSB, Prep A (I entered MSB on Sept. 1955) to Form III (1957) the routine was of going to Mass as soon as we woke up, you had 15 minutes to dress and get in the Chapel. After Mass you had again 15 minutes to get to the Refectory that was located next to the Church bells, close to the Monastery's main entrance and on the North side. The Mass lasted exactly 37 minutes!!!, joking, but I had favourite priests who took about 30 minutes and those not so favourite that took 45 minutes. No matter, those with a watch always found that time crawled. Naturally I am talking as a personal experience and the looks on the faces of those that kneeled around my location. Piece of wood plank was the surface for kneeling; not the soft kneeling stools of nowadays.

But I enjoyed the Latin of them days to the local language now days and the Gregorian singing to the rock and whatever and wherever is done today.

Maybe someone would like to add to this!!!.
(your editor)
-------------------------------------------------------------
From: "timothy" <mewhealthcare@bigpond.com>
Date: 6 Jun 14:39 (PDT)

Hola,
Received your last email this morning with thanks, Tim
Your files are attached and ready to send with this message.
-----------------------------------------------------
From: "andres federico freytez borges" <andresfreytez@hotmail.com>
Date: 16 Jun 08:24 (PDT)

I'm one of the oldies since I left Abbey in 1962
-----------------------------------------------------------
From: "Ladislao kertesz" <kertesz11@icqmail.com>
To: andresfreytez@hotmail.com
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:26:24 -0700 (PDT)

Once a month I send out one copy of the OASIS news as it was published.
The OASIS lasted 14 issues so you do not need to worry, it is for the really oldies.
I send out the other three issues using your inputs and comments.
I need your help for those three as there are a lot of stories to be told.
God Bless
Ladislao
-----------------------------------------------------------
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 00:10:35 +0000, "andres federico freytez borges" wrote:

All right Lad but I'm a bit confused.
As per your e-mail I can see that the last communication called OASIS was made in 1982 and that's 20 years back from now.
Am I correct in my appreciation or is there any more recent com regarding this ´ old boys ´ business?
If this info is the latest we have then I might think it would be convenient for us to try to update or raise newer info.
Thanks for your interest.
I remain obliged to you whilst awaiting your comments
Regards,
Andrés
----------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Roger Henderson" <rhenderson@tstt.net.tt>
Date: 16 Jun 06:22 (PDT)
Ladislao,
Jeffrey Henderson (No relation) did attend the Mount in our time although I cannot remember the exact years. His nickname was "Zop". He is presently the Consular General for the Dominican Republic in T&T.
Roger

--------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Ladislao kertesz [mailto:kertesz11@icqmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 9:20 PM
To: rhenderson@tstt.net.tt
Dear Roger
I have a Jeffrey Henderson in 1962, ????
I do not have it in the list; do you know something about him?
God Bless
Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------
De: cufons@cantv.net [cufons@cantv.net]
Fecha: 11/06/2004 19:50:52

Esta es la dirección correcta, para que me envíes lo hablado.
Gracia.
Luis Cubillán Fonseca.
-------------------------------------------------------
WANTED - WANTED - WANTED - WANTED - WANTED.
ELIAS, LUIS
EVELYN, GLEN
WAYNE HENDERSON
SCIPIO SOODEEN
TREVOR EVELYN
MICHAEL CHATTERTON
JOHN D. MILLER
RAYMOND DE CAMBRA
JOHN SKINNER
GORDON LANG
ROBERT LLANOS
PHILLIP NASSIEF
WINSTON LUCKY
JOHN CAMP CAMPINS
FR. JOHN MENDES
The Fergusons were found, all well and healthy, thanks to Salvador Coscarart.
When I shall have further information, I shall share it with you as soon as I get them.
How about the rest??? No takers???
--------------------------------------------------------------------
De: Salco56 [ Salco56@cs.com ]
Fecha: 26/06/2004 18:29:19

Hello, Ladislao
How are you and the family?
Hope everything is going your way over there.
Well i am happy to inform you that I spoke with Mr Stanley Ferguson in Lakeland, Florida. I also ask him about his brothers Duncan and Peter and his cousin Christopher. They all are still alive and living in Florida and his brother Peter became a priest and is leaving by Galveston are but has retired and will be moving to Florida to live as well.

He had been in touch with Lionel Roberts and I ask him to get in touch with him and let me know and to give him my phone #. I have also told my brother to try and get in touch with Lionel in St Petersburg.

By the way Mr Stanley is 72 years old. As soon as I get more information from them I'll pass it along. Stanley doesn't have a computer he says he leaves the old fashion way still. I told him to go on the Abbeyschool.com web if he got someone with a computer. I ask him to give me some names of old boys that he could remember and this are some of them (Johnny Camacho, David De Castro, Arthur Knaggs, The O'Connor brothers, he will give a list as he remembers later on.

Well I hope this is good news, he also told me he went from 1945 to 1951 he was one of the first students, he also remembered Father Cuthbert and Father Augustine, and of course Brother Vincent. We had a very pleasant chat.

Well I also want to thank you for the circulars I still enjoy them even thought it is from the old school 40's 50's 60's not much on the 70's any way it is good to hear from all the old boys.

God bless
Salvador Coscarart.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some of you have asked me for information on Oldboys from the 1970++. I can only inform you that I have no outstanding communication from this segment that has not been published. Even less communication from the 1980++, interestingly no plans for the next EVENT, the Second Reunion of Oldboys.

God Bless
Ladislao
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo: By Bodington, File0001e2, file0001e1
Wayne Vincent Brown's column can be seen at www.Jamaicaobserver.com, Column: dbratt , a mother
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look us up at http://www.theabbeyschool.com, an all class msb web site.
For those that want to communicate with the web, use, webmaster@theabbeyschool.com,.
Send information to: Ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com, if you would like to be in the circular's mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
Telf. 0(212) 263.5346 Caracas.
Use Kaviacion@cantv.net for photos as I leave enough storage space for these.
Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received
one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number to idmitch@anguillanet.com
For those that would like to contact me here I include my telephones:
Telf.Office: 58 (212) 263.5346, 267.2416, From: 11:00GMT to 22:00GMT
FAX: 58 (212) 261.0829,
Home: 58 (212) 238.4084. From: 00:00 GMT to 04:00 GMT
Cellphone: +58 (0416) 612.5695
Remember that Venezuela's time is the same as Trinidad's, -04:00 GMT.

No comments: