Saturday, July 24, 2004

Circular No 142



Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 24 of July 2004. Circular No. 142
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Here are the comments on Circular No. 139, I am glad someone remembers it so well and the events that accompanied it. I can remember Fr. Peter, the Priest that was in the confessional most of the time, to be very nice. By the way, if my memory serves me right, the confessional was not a booth but two chairs separated by a screen??

I am expecting Isaias Farcheg´s lines soon, he was one of the assiduous Mass goers, serving the Priest during the Mass and then making sure the wine bottle was well disposed off.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Donald Goddard"
Date: 14 Jul 21:48 (PDT)
Dear Ladislao,
As I read your description of the daily mass we had to attend during our time at Mount (1953-1958), I recall that mass didn't seem to bother me too much. What I didn't enjoy was having to go to confession once a week and invent sins. This is no joke! I recall one time when I was probably nine or ten years old, I went to one of those weekly confessions and I began to speak with that lovely Trini accent with which we spoke in those days; "Forgive me Fada for I have sinned, it does be one week since me las confession but I cyant recall anyting I did dat was bad". The priest answers me. "Well son, let me try to help you out and refresh your memory. Did you fight with anyone? Did you disobey anyone? Did you take anything that did not belong to you and did you tell any lies? Now let me hear you my son". With such great prompting, I decided to come up with some terrible sins. "Yes Fada now I does remember wat I did dat was very bad. Two days ago I pelted Urbano wid one of Broder Joseph stale hops bread and he got one ugly black eye. Yesterday I does stole some julie mangos dong de road and brother Swa caught me and pulled me ear, and four days ago I disobeyed me fada and me muda. But as far as I does recall I have not tole no lies." What was my big surprise after I felt so good that I had told all my sins, when all of a sudden he shouts at me through that little screen in his perfect Dutch accent. "You are nothing but a big liar." I replied trembling,"Why Fada does you tink so." And again I heard this loud voice from behind the little screen. "First of all I just saw Urbano and he doesn't have any black eye. Also, brother Swa as you so disrespectfully call that lovely, smelly man, has taken leave for the last two weeks and is not here. And finally your mother and father don't live here at Mount." All I could say was; "Ok Fada, you does be right. For lying to you, instead of three Hail Marys I can say a whole rosary." Quite upset by now, he finally said to me, "I make the rules here, not you and you will say not one but two rosaries, and next week you had better come back with some real sins and not such silly lies." Well to make this long story short, from that day on and after having to say two long rosaries, I became so scared of lying that I started committing real sins. The following week I truly pelted Urbano and as many Mount boys as I could pelt with the hardest stale bread I could find. Then I became the best mango thief at Mount and I ran so fast Swa could never catch me. I even stole juicy and honey from dem behives. Then I tried my best to disobey every rule at Mount. All of this, in keeping with the good Fada's advice to bring real sins to the confessional at not make up lies. He was correct, and from then on for telling the truth and not making up sins, I only got three Hail Mary's and no long rosaries. The moral of this true story is that you must commit as many sins as possible to keep our priests happy when you go to confession, but you must never lie. No, no, none of dat.

Well Ladislao, I'm quite sure that most Mount boys experienced similar situations when going to weekly confessions. If any of you deny this you does be lying because I can name many mango tiefs and stale bread pelters like myself and you all know who you does be. I won't name anyone out of respect. Please pass this on to our group to see how many will admit to the TRUTH.
Best regards to all.
Donald Goddard
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Donald Goddard"
Date: 4 Jul 22:10 (PDT)
Ladislao,
Por fin sali en una Foto. Ese soy yo en la foto con Roberto Bodington. Quizas Roberto tiene otros de Brian y Christian tambien con el.
Translation: At last I came out in a photo. That's me with Roberto Bodington. Perhaps Roberto has other photos of Brian and Christian with him.
Saludos, Donald
(Donald, give me the photo number, so that I may substitute the number for your name. Ed.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Ed Lloyd"
Date: 12 Jul 23:32 (PDT)
Ladislao,
Chris Ferguson is now living in Florida and his email address is cmlfergie@adelphia.net
All the best and keep up the good work.
Edward Lloyd Tel:- 01330 822 930 Mobile:- 0790 061 6107
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Daniel de Verteuil"
Date: 13 Jul 06:13 (PDT)
Ladislao,
Wayne Henderson is Jeffery Henderson's older brother and was at Mount in our class, I believe. Perhaps Jeffrey knows of his whereabouts.
Much enjoy the circulars - keep them coming.
Daniel de Verteuil
(I need Jeffrey Henderson’s address. Ed)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Eric De Verteuil
Date: 10 Dec 05:22 (PST)
Have got an address for Peanuts == 10 Elm Avenue , Bayshore , Trinidad
Hope to hear tomorrow re Raymond and Paul , both of whom are resident abroad. Forget about Roger who has had a few nervous breakdowns and now lives alone
(I hope we Are talking of the same Roger!!) (Maybe as I have no indication on Roger; Did you get information on Raymond and Paul?? Ed)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ladislao Kertesz wrote:

Dear Friend Eric
I am looking for David (peanuts), Paul, Raymond and Roger, who went to the Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, about three or four decades ago. Can you help??
God Bless
Ladislao Kertesz Class 1960
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Eric De Verteuil
Date 8 Dec 01:25 (PST)
Got your email and should be able to provide you with the addresses. Give me a couple days
Regards
Eric de Verteuil
-----------------------------------------------------------
Here is an oldie:
30 Jun 1982
Better late than never. We only just received your Christmas Bulletin “BULL”, after it made the rounds. It was very nice to hear from you. We were very sorry that we missed you all in your trip to Trinidad. I only heard you were there but was unable to catch up with you. We were in Toronto in December 1980 and visited with Margaret Ann and Ronald, was very disappointed to find that you had moved out of town, was hoping to see you all up there. I am writing you from Brazil, yes Brazil!. I parted company with Farfan and Co., things were not going so good, so I sold out to them. I got this job with a firm in Houston; it is the same firm that Michael Scott and Desmond Maingot work for. I am down here for three weeks and go home for three weeks; the money is in good old U.S. and plenty of it. I have to pass through Miami on my way in and out, it is the longest way distance wire but shortest in time (will be posting this letter from there) I have been here since February.

All is well so far, family increasing, three and three great grand. Richard has two and Barry has had his first, Michelle is just about due. As you can see from the address we are back in the Valley, changed a lot but still better than P.O.S.

How are things with you, I hope all still well, give my love to Val and the kids. Hope to hear from you soon again. So long for now and all the best.
Walter E. Darwent.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So now I am catching up, the next one No. 143 should be on time. The faster I get articles the faster the Circular circulate!!!!!!!
NEED INFORMATION ON:
WALTER E. DARWENT
DESMOND AND JOHN MAINGOT
MIKE SCOTT
God Bless
Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Again photos from Alain, This time with oldboys. Please help out with those that have no names?? 1945-50 R.Devaux L.O´connor, 1945-50 R.Devaux R.Vivies
Wayne Vincent Brown’s column can be seen at www.Jamaicaobserver.com,
Column: dbratt, Tears keep falling
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look us up at http://www.theabbeyschool.com, an all class msb web site.
For those that want to communicate with the web, use, webmaster@theabbeyschool.com,.
Send information to: Ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include. Telf. 0 (212) 263.5346 Caracas.
Use Kaviacion@cantv.net for photos as I leave enough storage space for these.
Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number to idmitch@anguillanet.com
For those that would like to contact me here I include my telephones:
Telf.Office: 58 (212) 263.5346, 267.2416, From: 11:00GMT to 22:00GMT
FAX: 58 (212) 261.0829,
Home: 58 (212) 238.4084. From: 00:00 GMT to 04:00 GMT
Cellphone: +58 (0416) 612.5695
Remember that Venezuela’s time is the same as Trinidad’s, -04:00 GMT.

No comments: