Saturday, July 10, 2004

Circular No 140



Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 10 of July 2004. Circular No. 140
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Having found Bull No. 1, I believe that for history’s sake I had to publish it, here are the contents. It is short, just as Circular No.1 was, but I though it important for those few that would like to keep things straight. Needless to say that one day there is going to be a book written and I am sure none of us would like to been left out!!!. Original by Arthur Knaggs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bull No.1
Dear Old Mountainians,
I am endeavouring to round up some of the old boys overseas (other than Trinidad): a) To keep in contact. b) To spread some news 2) To help where + when necessary; d) And issue a little “bull”. If you know anyone’s address other than the attached, please drop me a line with it; along with your business Card; and anything else you want to share. Let’s give it a try.
Arthur Knaggs.

Names that appear on the enclosed list: Bergasse, Peter (rip); Castro, David De ????? Cuthbert, Fr.(ok); Devaux, Raymond ????? Ferguson, Duncan (ok but no address); Ferguson, Peter (ok but no address); Ferguson, Stanley (ok but no address); Floissac, Anthony (ok); Gomes, Jerome ????? Henderson, Hugh (ok); Kayne, Earl (ok); Knaggs, Arthur (ok); Lang, Gordon ????? Littlepage, Desmond ????? Llanos, Anthony (rip); Llanos, Noel ????? Lopes, Benedict ????? Miller, John ????? Nassief, Phillip ????? O.Connor, Leary (ok); Philip, Colin ????? Prada, Charles ????? Prada, Geoffery (rip); Shoul, Ian ????? Skinner, John ????? Soodeen, Trevor ????? Soodeen, Tyrone ????? Watts, Claude ?????

The remarks have been taken from my list, I need a help with those with a question mark. (I have lost contact with Raymond Devaux, a month ago, I hope everything is OK, can the Devauxs help. Ed.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the bottom of my files, I have recovered the following exchange that occurred when the OASIS files were sent by Art. I thought it pertinent to include them with this the copy of Bull No.1.

From: Nigel P. Boos
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 6:15 PM
To: Art & Val Knaggs

Art,
Thank you for your kind note. I'm sure that Ladislao will be thrilled to receive your package of O.A.S.I.S file info, as it'll give him years of reading matter with which to compile his stories. All the guys will benefit from it as well, so, on behalf of everyone who had been privileged to pass through the halls of MSB, thank you for preserving the memories for us.

Las, please note that Art does not intend to cash Bernard Stone's cheque, so there's no need to seek any form of reimbursement from the fellas. Bernard, thank you for offering a cheque to pay for the cost of posting all these files from Canada to Venezuela. As you will note, the cheque will not be cashed. Maybe Arthur is going to frame it - I would! But thanks anyway. The gesture was well appreciated.
Best wishes,
Nigel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Mar 31, 2004, at 12:17 PM, Art & Val Knaggs wrote:

Dear Nigel,
Just a little note to let you know that I received your letter re: O.A.S.I.S. and thank you for your kind words and great wishes. I had already mailed the package to Ladislao, as Val & I decided that it would be a tribute to the marvellous efforts of those who picked up the "ball" and ran with it. I hope that Ladislao has received the package, and we will not be processing the enclosed cheque.
My days at "The Mount" were and are a host of tremendous memories (especially spiritual) and it accounts for me being still here today. The great "Man" upstairs must have some plan for me yet, so here am I, still hanging in there for whatever is put on my plate. You have played a great part in my efforts for always encouraging me over the latter years of the newsletter and I thank you for that.
Keep in touch, and when we drop in to Toronto around the end of June I will give you a call so that we can get together.
In the meantime, all the very best, may The Good Lord continue to influence you.
Sincerely,
Art
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Nigel P.Boos
Sent: Sunday, February 8, 2004 1:42 PM
Las,
I had written you about 10 days ago, advising that I have in my possession a cheque for Cdn $135.00 which was given to me by Bernard Stone, to be sent to Arthur Knaggs, to assist him with the cost of postage of the OASIS files to you. I have not sent the cheque to Arthur as yet, since I want to be certain that I'm not duplicating your effort. Please let me know, therefore, whether you have as yet sent any money to Arthur for this purpose. If you have, then I shall return this cheque to Bernard. It is my understanding that Bernard will be reimbursed for the amount of his cheque. However, I do not see any reason at all why you alone should have to fork out $135.00, and I am suggesting that you should send a note to everyone explaining that you have a need to collect a small sum of money to pay for postage of some important MSB files to Venezuela, files which will interest everyone, and ask everyone to contribute, say, $5.00 to cover the cost. Any extra money could be used to help you in your work of maintaining the Abbey School website.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Nigel
P.S. I'm sending this note to your two email addresses, in the hope that one at least will get through to you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This exchange is about the trip that Arthur is making and the problem with the internet, that I hope I can unravel by making changes using separate servers.
From: Nigel P. Boos
Date: 2 Jul 15:38 (PDT)
Las,
I've heard from Arthur Knaggs today, and it seems I may be seeing him soon. However, he'd like to get onto your mailing list, please. His email address is av_knaggs@hotmail.com. Another old boy who would like to receive the mailings is Bernard Stone, whose email address is: nathose@aol.com.
I'll try to put together an article for you soon.
Best of everything.
Nigel

(I am sorry for the problems, but since Hotmail has a new filtering option, I am going to line up all the Hotmail addresses and send these through LadislaoKertesz@Hotmail.com, and maybe the @aol shall be sent thru Yahoo.com? Ed.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Art & Val Knaggs"
Date: July 2, 2004 5:30:10 PM EDT
Great to hear so fast from you.
We had dinner with Bernard & Tony on Monday before we left. How do I get to see the OASIS letters, tried TheAbbeySchool.com but they are not there, and I don’t seem to be on Lad's mailing list any more? Also Bernard was interested in reading some of the old news. Will ring you when we are back in Toronto.
Art

(Art, maybe you should get those that you are missing from Nigel, he has all of them; while I make the changes. Ed.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Nigel P. Boos
To: "Art & Val Knaggs"
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:53:41 -0400
Art,
How nice to hear from you. We're at 905-426-8999 in Ajax. You should drop in sometime. Bernard and (Deacon) Anthony Stone live close by too.
Look forward to seeing you guys.
Nigel
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Jul 2, 2004, at 1:37 PM, Art & Val Knaggs wrote:

Nigel, Just zipped through Toronto, on our way to Victoria, as son Edward & Michelle has just had a new baby, so we are here to change diapers and give them a break in between breast feeding etc. All else fine, need your Phone and address (home) as we will be passing through briefly at the end of July, and want to contact you as we will be there for a couple days (like two), then we drive to N.S. I also want to get the web site to read the Mount news, as Eion O’Connor said that Ladis has been putting in some of the data from Oasis. We are awed with the flowers and landscaping, as well with the unbelievable prices for homes and property here. We are just 100 yards from the beach, and as early risers we are walking the sands at 6.30 and soaking in the Pacific air (as opposed to the Atlantic). Drop us a line.
Sincerely
Art
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Roger Henderson"
Date: 5 Jul 05:45 (PDT)
Ladislao,
re photos which you have attached in file #1d7 #3 is Maillard Howell, aka as "Bullet" who is now a lawyer in T&T and #4 is Isaias Farcheg I believe. In photo #1d8, #1 is Stanley Grossberg and #3 is Roland D'Abadie. I am not sure who #2 is but it could be Geoffrey Ames. (Not sure)
Roger

( I hope to hear from Roland and Geoffrey to confirm the names and add the missing one. Ed)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well another Circular that is being sent out thanks to your collective efforts. All this because you write and send photos.
Would like to hear for the 1970+ oldboys, cheer up!!!
God Bless
Ladislao
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo: Bull No. 1 did not have photos So, By Roberto Bodington File0001e5, File0001e6
Wayne Vincent Brown’s column can be seen at www.Jamaicaobserver.com,
Column: dbratt , Civilized Living
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look us up at http://www.theabbeyschool.com an all class msb web site.
For those that want to communicate with the web, use, webmaster@theabbeyschool.com,.
Send information to: Ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include. Telf. 0 (212) 263.5346 Caracas.
Use Kaviacion@cantv.net for photos as I leave enough storage space for these.
Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number to idmitch@candw.ag,
For those that would like to contact me here I include my telephones:
Telf.Office: 58 (212) 263.5346, 267.2416, From: 11:00GMT to 22:00GMT
FAX: 58 (212) 261.0829,
Home: 58 (212) 238.4084. From: 00:00 GMT to 04:00 GMT
Cellphone: +58 (0416) 612.5695
Remember that Venezuela’s time is the same as Trinidad’s, -04:00 GMT.

No comments: