Saturday, August 14, 2004

Circular No 145






Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 14 August 2004 No. 145
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Here is a collage of e-mail received. Keep writing so that others may know your wellbeing.
Tomorrow we are going to have elections here in Venezuela, The event is to get rid of our President or keep him for the next three years. Hope everything is going to be uneventful, although the winds are not reassuring.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Alain Devaux"
Date: 19 Jul 07:04 (PDT)
Dear Ladislao,
Here is Raymond's email address : rdevaux@attglobal.net.
Raymond is back here for the summer in Brossard, a city close to Montreal, just across the St Laurence river. I see him every other Friday nights at our mother's home for supper with my other brother Patrick and also with J.D. Miller, my brother in law another old MSB boy. They are all very well and still happy to receive the weekly circulars of the Abbey School MSB.
Arthur Knaggs was recently at J.D. Miller's home where he also met Raymond for supper.
I have some old pictures of MSB and of some of the boys when I was there during the years 1947-1953. I am sending them at the email address you give in your circulars to send pictures.
Best regards,
Alain Devaux
(Thank you for the photos, Please ask Miller to send a couple of lines and photos, I miss him. Ed.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
De: Patrick Devaux [pdevauxchubb@hotmail.com]
Fecha: 03/01/2004 17:33:00
Archivos Adjuntos: Abbey class of 1965..jpg (186K) Abbey champs of 1964 _ St_Francis..jpg (161K) Abbey scout band..jpg (258K) Abbey tennis champs..jpg (43K)

Allo Ladislao,
Thank you very much for your e-mail and very happy new year to you and your familly.
As I mention to you earlier on, I left Mount in 1966 and came to Montreal since. I am working for Chubb Sécurity, a world wide security company. I started in 1967 and now working as a sales representative. I was born in Martinique in 1948, came to the Mount from 1960 to 1966 and then left to Montreal. My nick name at the Mount was "Pin head"; you will see me on the class picture, standing in the middle row, completely on the left side right under the open window. On the tennis picture, I am sitting on ????? I don't remember his name????? shoulders, front row. On the scout band I am playing the drum, 2nd row left. I really like looking at this old pictures, I hope you can get a lot more. I would really enjoy getting pictures between 1960 to 1966, my good time at the Mount.
Thank you Ladislao and once more "Happy new Year".
Patrick Devaux, (Pin Head).
(Thank you for the photos, please add the names of those that you remember of those that are in them. Ed)
(Need a scouting story, any one. Ed)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Charles Devaux"
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 15:26:48 -0400
Dear Ladislao,
You asked questions a long time ago and most were answered by Richard Johnson, brother of Gabby and Flat Top. However, you asked also about Phillip Nassief. He is from the island of Dominica, not St. Lucia, and is a prominent businessman there. I do not know him personally but believe he now is in the hotel business.
I was married in 1980 and have one daughter Anya who is now at Western in London, Ontario. (I have been divorced about fifteen years now but my ex-wife and I are on very good terms.) I am in the dairy (ice cream) business in St. Lucia. I still look forward to your interesting and enjoyable circulars.
Could you send me the following that I have missed: 1 > 15, 20, 23, 25, 40, 42 > 46. Asking for so many circulars it occurs to me that you might sometimes need help. If you do I would be happy to help forward circulars - just send me a persons email address and the numbers he needs and I will forward them.
Best Regards, Charles Devaux.
(Please ask Don, idmitch@anguillanet.com, for the missing issues. Ed.)
(Thanks you for the offer of help, I shall include your address for back issues. Ed.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Vernon B. De Lima"
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 18:13:00 -0400
Dear Ladiskao,
You do not know me since I left the Mount in 1965.
I do read all your dispatches and must congratulate you on same. Really it is a delight to see all the old pictures of the Abbey School and the old boys, and from time to time I even print some of the things you send and show it around to old boys who are my contemps.
A few weeks ago you sent a photo of yourself (I suspect) and Manuel Prada. He was a dear friend of mine at Mount and I would be interested in contacting him. Please send me his address if you have it.
In the meantime keep up the good work..
Sincerely.
Vernon B. De Lima
(Please can you make a list of the old boys with whom you are in contact? Are they getting my Circulars? I am missing about 800 email addresses!!!! Ed.)
(Manuel Prada can be reached at Manjosepra@Hotmail.com. Ed.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another Old letter from files 30 Jun 1982:

Better late than never. We only just received your Christmas Bulletin, after it made the rounds. It was very nice to hear from you. We were very sorry that we missed you all in your trip to Trinidad. I only heard you were there but was unable to catch up with you. We were in Toronto in December 1980 and visited with Margaret Ann and Ronald, was very disappointed to find that you had moved out of town, was hoping to see you all up there. I am writing you from Brazil, yes Brazil!. I parted company with Farfan and Co., things were not going so good, so I sold out to them. I got this job with a firm in Houston; it is the same firm that Michael Scott and Desmond Maingot work for. I am down here for three weeks and go home for three weeks; the money is in good old U.S. and plenty of it. I have to pass through Miami on my way in and out, it is the longest way distance wire but shortest in time (will be posting this letter from there) I have been here since February. All is well so far, family increasing, three and three great grand. Richard has two and Barry has had his first, Michelle is just about due. As you can see from the address we are back in the Valley, changed a lot but still better than P.O.S. How are things with you, I hope all still well, give my love to Val and the kids.
Hope to hear from you soon again.
So long for now and all the best.
Walter E. Darwent.
(Anyone knows the whereabouts of John and Desmond Maingot? Ed.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From my files I have DESMOND and JOHN DEVAUX. Can anyone help???
The same for the DARWENTs JOHN; PETER, ROGER and WALTER.
I hope all are well in health and available for their friends.
God Bless
Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo: By Alain Devaux, 1950_53 Tennis team 150, 1950_1953 St. Benedict_2 150 and photos of Alain, Raymond, and Patrick. Wayne Vincent Brown’s column can be seen at www.Jamaicaobserver.com, Column: dbratt , a mother
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look us up at http://www.theabbeyschool.com, an all class msb web site.
For those that want to communicate with the web, use, webmaster@theabbeyschool.com,.
Send information to: Ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
Telf. 0 (212) 263.5346 Caracas.
Use Kaviacion@cantv.net for photos as I leave enough storage space for these.
Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number to Don Mitchell, idmitch@anguillanet.com and Charles Devaux, ferrands@candw.lc,
For those that would like to contact me here I include my telephones:
Telf.Office: 58 (212) 263.5346, 267.2416, From: 11:00GMT to 22:00GMT
FAX: 58 (212) 261.0829,
Home: 58 (212) 238.4084. From: 00:00 GMT to 04:00 GMT
Cellphone: +58 (0416) 612.5695
Remember that Venezuela’s time is the same as Trinidad’s, -04:00 GMT.

No comments: