Saturday, August 28, 2004

Circular No 147






Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad
and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 28 August 2004. Circular No. 147
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

Here is the latest news, not the best for the Monastery but news.

From:"John Gioannetti"
Date:10 Aug 05:14 (PDT)
Subject: Abbey Monastery
Importance: High

About 3 weeks ago, I took a drive up to mount and the old Monastery has been demolished…
This is what’s left….
Also the Form1 and Prep dormitories above the science labs are falling apart… windows etc. have fallen out….ceiling falling down.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "John Gioannetti & or Carolyn Sumadh"
Subject: Here are some OLD Old boys for your records

Those of Graham were taken 22/08/03
Those of David were taken 28/08/03
The Picture with the Go-Karts was taken about 23-24 yrs ago
I am number 69 and DAVID PAMPELLONE is right behind me in Red/White/Blue Helmet with Kangol Sticker
John Gioannetti
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: John Gioannetti
Date: 25 Jun 11:57 (PDT)

Is MERVIN ASSAM an old boy?????
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Ladislao Kertesz [mailto:lkertesz1@icqmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 25 June, 2003 10:54 AM
To: JGioannetti@MDC-UM.com

Dear John,
Good to hear from you.
Yes I do not have his email address, can you forward the email or give me his address.
When you check the listing in .xls, do you check it for email addresses?.
As you can see I am missing some of the well known ones, COLIM IMBERG, MILLARD
HOWELL, GARCIA the swimming champ.
Hope to get an article from you soon?,
I know I have photos that you sent, but need a story.
For the photos on the motor bike. etc.
God bless
Ladislao
------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:39:21 -0400, John Gioannetti wrote:

Ladislao,

Do you want Mervin Assam´s e-mal?
Is he an Old boy from mount too?????????????

(Someone told me that our Melvin is not the Melvin with the Govt. post. Ed.)
---------------------------------------------------
From: John Gioannetti
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 11:28:24 -0400

This watercolour was on a Christmas card that came to our office.
The last time I went into this building was about 3 yrs ago.
The floor had almost gone.
If my memory is correct, Fr. Cuthbert told me it was carded to be demolished.
What a pity.

Happy New Year to all
---------------------------------------------------------
Gioannetti,
Las
Two people are missing from this class photo ROGER TAYLOR I will send u his telephone later PAUL SHEPHERD up to 15 yrs ago he was working North Sea Scotland Drilling, used to come back to Trinidad on Holiday.
His first wife Debbie Delpino if any one knows her should be able to tell u how to find him. Someone else may be missing a Venezuelan named Elias.
Glen should be able to tell you more about him, WINK WINK.
Nigel is leaving Trinidad Next week to go to Bequai to live so I don’t know if this e-mail address will be good after that.
I think its his in-laws so u can check of the people here Glen look pretty much the same.
Nigel is as bald as BOBO.
I have seen Puggy recently and he still looks the same.
I suspect that this picture is first term Form V, as DR. "TONY" DAVID STRISSIVER was Form-master in Form IV and EARL AGUSTUS is the Teacher.
I quit mount during 2nd term Form V, which is why it can´t be later.
Contact data follows if any one can´t open the files, let me know and I'll send them in Text Format.
Las, Your database that u send weekly is confusing.
Let me know if you want lessons in how to design a Relational Database.
You should put all the contacts into Microsoft Access a defector Industry Standard.

(Thank you for the offer, I am trying to reorganize the list by year of graduation or would have graduated FromV if stayed, WHG. Ed.)
--------------------------------------------------
From : John Gioannetti
Subject: Salvador Updates for you and Ladislao
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 07:46:35 -0400

Salvador,
There was someone that was at Abbey while we were there, DAVID BURKE, unfortunately he also died in a motorcycle accident in the USA, probably more than 20 yrs ago.
Seems lots of old boys did themselves in on bikes.
He was a loner so not many would remember him.....
Two other name you did not mention.............MICHAEL & GREGORY BARCANT...........They were twins..........Glen Evelyn’s Cousins.............one class ahead of Pedro and myself......
---------------------------------------------------------
Here is an oldie, from 1982

18 August 1982

Nowadays, abbreviation seems to be with us, so when I was in T´dad 2 years ago, I realized that Sangre Grande has became simply “Grandi-e” and now I see that in true Canadian style, they’ve caused a further change from Arthur to Art!!

I really must congratulate you on starting up from 3000 miles away – yet another effort to keep the Alma Mater alive.

A few weekends ago, I saw JOHN CAMPS- CAMPINS (or has he just become Camps? I’m not sure) in B´dos en famile – told him I would let you know I saw him. I believe he told me one of his daughters got married recently. His address in POS is c/o Printers Ltd, 25 Dundonald St.

I see SCIPIO SOODEEN from time to time. He lives in B´dos now. 2 houses East of me but has – seems to have business interests overseas as well. I told him I heard from you, his address in Rendezvous Terrace, Christ Church, B´dos.

MACK KING - Eric´s younger brother also lives over here – has in fact for years.
I don’t have his address off hand.

Did you know that TREVOR EVELYN has been living in Canada for quite some years now – Elizabeth (my wife) and I saw Trevor and his family at their very nice home in Mississauga last September.

My last old boy news is that last Sunday when I attended Mass at the very quaint church in Vierdun, St. John (one of our country parishes) I seemed to recognize, vaguely, the face and baritone voice of the officiating priest – now rather grey and like myself, has lost more hair (he lost the first bit when, as a personal witness to the incident, he was one of the five seminarians to be ordained a Deacon in 1948 and given his circular “tonsure” by Count Finbar Rayn´s assistant) FATHER JOHN MENDES (or is it Mendes), I think anyhow pronounced “Mene”.
We had a short chat; we had not seen each other since 1949, 33 years. He said he would love to be included in OASIS, his address c/o Catholic Presbytery, San Fernando, where he is a parish priest.

As to myself, we have one son Edward 20, who will commence his 3rd year at York University in Computer Science this September, our other son Martin, 18 just completed his 13th grade at St. Andrew’s Collage, Aurora, Ontario and will commence his 1st year also at York in Business Administration. Our daughter, Maureen just 13, attended Queen’s College in B´dos and will enter Form 3 in September.

I have so very much to thank God for - from what, in hindsight seems to have been a very unplanned, insecure future lacking the guidance of my father who died when I was just 13, my footsteps have been guided over the years and I thank God everyday of my life for his many blessings, spiritually and materially.

As it turned out John Gordon Lang (it was his 2nb attempt, but my first) and I secured First Grades “Oxford and Cambridge in 1949.I have always been very proud of that achievement and very grateful to God for it.

I must end here, I will look forward to further OASIS!!.

Cecil Ince.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can any one help on the individuals, oldboys, that are mentioned in this Circular???

God Bless
Ladislao
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos: By John Gioanetti, Karting Gioanetti, 2004 07 0005 photo msb, 2004 07 0006 photo msb, graham gonsalves, david pampellone.
Column: dbratt , 040904 the answer ne how
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: